Author Topic: Rev. John Jones, Talysarn  (Read 35982 times)

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. John Jones, Talysarn
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 28 December 13 07:34 GMT (UK) »
You have certainly found Ellen who was with her parents in Rhosgill in 1841. The fact that she had a sister Margaret in Llangybi is also interesting because the Mary Williams who was buried in Llanarmon in 1845 is NOT the wife of Evan Williams. In fact she's yet another daughter of William and Lowry Williams of Goetre and it was Mary's sister Margaret of Capel Helyg who registered her death. So the children for William and Lowry Williams found to date are:

Anne born 1778 Llanengan died 1819 Llanarmon (buried Llanarmon) - spinster
Margaret born 1779 Llannor died 1861 Llangybi (buried Llangybi) - widowed
William born 1782 Llannor died 1874 Tyddyn Madyn Coch (buried Llanystumdwy)
Evan born 1788 Llannor died 1879 Pontrhychdwr (buried Llanarmon) - not certain of this one a crosscheck with northwalesbmd and ancestry would suggest that the death occurred in the Llandwrog register sub-district. This could be Clynnog, Llanllyfni or Llandwrog parish. Don't know what happened to his wife Mary Jones of Cae'r Eithin Tew.
Mary born ca 1790 (can't find baptism) died 1845 Rhosgill (buried Llanarmon) - spinster
John born 1793 Llannor died 1848 Ty Hir (buried Llanarmon) - married
Ellen born 1798 Llanarmon died 1856 Cwm Llanaelhaearn - spinster
Elizabeth born 1800 Llanarmon died 1868 Cwm Llanaelhaearn (buried Llanaelhaearn) - married
Jane born 1803 Llanarmon died between 1851 and 1861 in Bangor probably. Second husband Robert Griffiths widowed in Bangor High Street in 1861. Looks like he died in 1868.

The old registers are difficult to make out, I'm going to have another look now that you've identified Goetre.

regards

David

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 28 December 13 07:50 GMT (UK) »
It looks like I've misread the baptism of John Williams at Llannor in 1793, the father is Michael not William. With not being able to find the baptism of Mary in ca 1790 it may be that William and Lowry Williams moved from Llannor to Llanarmon following the birth of Evan in 1788.

regards

David

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 28 December 13 08:29 GMT (UK) »
I will see if anything can be gleaned from the residents of the property Bryn y Pin which seemed "reserved"(?) for Evan Williams(dependent upon the status of Mary) or Robert/John Edwards, in the will of William Williams.
I'll also look for an alternate baptism for John Williams.

Regards
Roger

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 28 December 13 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Evan is a bit tricky after 1841.
There is a marriage bond dated 1799 for his sister Margaret Williams born 1779 on the NLW website. She married Griffith Humphrey(s). There is a will for Griffith Humphreys of Capel Helig Llangybi in 1841 on the NLW website but the images are not available today which is a pity. Margaret is at Capel Helyg in 1841 as Margret Humphrey with two daughters Lowry and Elizabeth; she's then started to use her maiden surname as widows often did back then. She's buried at Capel Helyg cemetery not Llangybi Churchyard as I stated previously.

regards

David

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 28 December 13 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I was just about to look for a marriage for Margaret.Is there a specific reason why you have chosen Griffith Humphrey(I don't have any reason to doubt it-just curious)?I have obviously had the same problem with wills.

Regards
Roger

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 28 December 13 14:15 GMT (UK) »
The marriage bond looked promising - 1799 at for a marriage to be held at Llanarmon when Margaret would have been 20. Then finding Margret Humphrey at Capel Helyg in 1841 with a daughter Lowry. I've subsequently found that Griffith Humphreys was buried at Llanarmon on 9/9/1840 aged 69 so that fits too. There is also a Griffith Humphreys of Capel Helyg buried at Llanarmon aged 19 in 1831 - he's probably a son. I'll try and find his baptism. I've found the baptisms of Lowry at Llanarmon and Elizabeth at Rhoslan Independent Chapel.
I'll probably order the marriage bond in the next couple of weeks.

regards

David

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 28 December 13 16:21 GMT (UK) »
In the will of William Williams Rhosgill the address of Hafod Penrhyn daudraeth (sic) for Robert and John Edwards grandsons of William Williams does make sense. According to the 1851 census when they were at Llys Patric Catherine daughter of Jane Williams by her second husband Robert Griffiths was born in Llanfihangel y Traethau in 1847 the year that the will was written. That's the correct parish for Penrhyndeudraeth.

regards

David

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 28 December 13 19:42 GMT (UK) »
There is an 1879 probate for Evan Williams giving him as a miner,late of Lon Bach,Criccieth with the executor being Griffith Owen (husband of Ann Owen) of Unicorn Terrace,Four Crosses,Festiniog.

Regards
Roger

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 28 December 13 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.
There are four Evan Williams that died in 1879 in Pwllheli Register District according to Ancestry. All in April to June quarter. They are
Evan Williams born 1803
Evan Williams born 1811
Evan Williams born 1828
Evan Williams born 1879
Criccieth was a subdistrict of Pwllheli so I would expect the Evan Williams who died at Lon Bach on 19/06/1879 to be one of the first three. I'm going to try and find who registered the death of Evan Williams aged 92 who died in the Llandwrog subdistrict (that will be in Caernarfon district) in the January to March quarter 1879. It's the only one in the county that fits the Evan Williams buried in Llanarmon on 28/02/1879. The address of the deceased is given as Pontrhychddwr (late Rhosgyll) in the burial register, I've never heard of Pontrhychddwr; but I know the Lleyn area better than Arfon. There is no will for an Evan Williams of that address so if he's the correct one he's fallen on hard times.

regards

David