Author Topic: Westby - looking for a baptism  (Read 2395 times)

Offline CathieM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Westby - looking for a baptism
« on: Tuesday 02 August 11 10:51 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for a baptism record for my 3xgreat grandfather, William Westby.  He married Margaret Pilkington at Ormskirk in 1822 and I believe he died in 1869.  According to the 1851 census he was born c. 1798 in Wheelton, Lancashire.  I have searched for a baptism in the Wheelton/Chorley/Leyland area and also the Ormskirk area to no avail.  There is talk in the family that the Westbys were Roman Catholic.  Westby is an unusual name in the Ormskirk area and there is a child burial of this name at Ormskirk where the register is annotated "Roman Catholic".  I have not been able to find a baptism record for this child.

Does anyone know how I might be able to find where and when William was baptised?  Where do I look for records of baptisms and burials for Roman Catholics in the Ormskirk/Aughton area?

Many thanks in advance.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Westby - looking for a baptism
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 14:31 BST (UK) »
Brindle seems the obvious choice for a Wheelton birth, but I can't find a William in the right timeframe. There are other Westby events though.

The registers were transcribed by the Catholic Record Society, and the volume is online at www.archive.org.

The LRO have quite a few RC registers or transcripts, and they know where a lot more are to be found. It may be worth ploughing through their list of RC parishes with a map to hand.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 19:08 BST (UK) »
Ormskirk and area RC registers are at Lancashire Record Office which is presently closed due to reopen in October. The most likely would be St Annes RC if that was open at that time . There was definitely a RC church at that time but not the present building. I don't know when the registers beign.

Gibel

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 19:21 BST (UK) »
Is St Peter and St Paul  a catholic church

Banns read St Peter and St Paul ,Ormskirk
23 rd of December 1821,
marriage same church
7 th of January 1822,Ormskirk,
William Westby,(X)  of this parish
Margaret Pilkington (X) of this parish
Witness Thomas Hale and William Lyon,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 21:30 BST (UK) »
Also married St Pete and St Paul,

James Westby,(X) of this parish,a weaver
Jane Shorlicar,(X) spinster of this parish,
25 th of September 1821.
witness,Charles Inshaw and George Wignall

possibly a brother
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 23:07 BST (UK) »
St Peter and St Paul is Church of England its the parish church of Ormskirk- at that time they would have to have been married in C of E for it to be legal. They may have also got married in the RC church.

I reckomg the two must be brothers.

Gibel