Author Topic: Donald MacLeod, b. 21/02/1788 Lairg; son of Wm.  (Read 3915 times)

Offline jeannie1000cc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sarah McCarthy 1885-1920
    • View Profile
Donald MacLeod, b. 21/02/1788 Lairg; son of Wm.
« on: Tuesday 02 August 11 23:46 BST (UK) »
Donald Macleod died in Wilkins Grant, Pictou County, Nova Scotia, February 1869 at age 80. From death record: born Lairg, Sco. to Wm. and Nancy MacLeod, both deceased. Many searches on ScotlandsPeople later, I found the above birth record. Combined with my oral family history records, this would just about confirm that this Donald is my g.g.g.grandmothers brother.

I am looking for more information about his sisters Ellen and Christy and their parents. Ellen and Christy MacLeod are both my g.g.g.grandmothers since Ellen's daughter (Jane Robertson) married Christy's son (James Peters) in Nova Scotia Feb.17 1857; their first born was my g.g.g.grandmother Christy Peters.

Donald MacLeod: According to our oral history "A piper who was granted land in Nova Scotia (Wilkins Grant) subsequent to his participation in the 1815 defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo under general Wellington. Emigrated abt. 1817."

Ellen MacLeod: b. abt. 1795 "with her husband William Robertson and daughters Christy and Margaret emigrated to Nova Scotia in 1819 and were met and housed by Donald in Wilkins Grant until they built their own home in Glengarry, Pictou several years later."

Christy MacLeod: b. abt. 1798. Emigrated (seemingly alone) to Nova Scotia 1817-1819, married Patrick Peters May 7, 1819 Halifax Nova Scotia.

Any suggestion or lead would be much appreciated.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BUDD, PAGE - Staffs; RICHARDSON, HUTT, MIDDLETON, NEAL, MATTHEWS - Warks; OLNER, GRIMES, GOODMAN - Leics