Author Topic: GREEKS/ROBINSON/WAKEFIELD elopement and child  (Read 6872 times)

Offline viola2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GREEKS/ROBINSON/WAKEFIELD elopement and child
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 November 11 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I am the grand daughter of William George Robinson, born 1879, son of Richard Robinson and a mother he never knew! I've wanted to find out about her for a long time - we didn't even know her name. Sounds like we may have found her - very exciting indeed! We knew that Richard Robinson was a 'colourful' character - there were several marriages and many court cases! Poppa Robinson died in 1964 and we remember him as a very sweet natured, but slightly simple character who had had a very hard life - he drove the coach for his father from an early age, and endured great hardship at the hands of his stepmother. He married Helen Victoria Cowdrey (Nell) in 1910 and they had 3 sons George, Sidney (my father) and Edwin (Ned) So excited to read your posts....

Offline viola2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 November 11 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Also, just re-reading your chats - I've seen the articles on Papers Past too. Lucy it was my grandfather who drove the coach for this father - he began doing this at the age of 12 I believe!

Offline viola2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 November 11 10:44 GMT (UK) »
I've just found Ellen Winifred Greeks, spinster, on the electoral rolls for Wellington in the early 1900's!

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 11 November 11 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Viola!  This is wonderful - I love it when discoveries happen  :-)

There are three Ellen Winifred Greeks - 'our' one was born in 1863.  She has a niece with the same name, and there's a third later Ellen too - can't remember where she fits in.  I've been in touch with a Greeks family researcher who is descended from Ellen's brother.  I think the 1900s one would be the niece.

I'll go through my files and pull all the Greeks information together for you. 

How exciting  :-)
My mum's family:  MESSENGER (=> NZ 1852), ROSCOE/ROSCOW, ROBINSON, GROOMBRIDGE (=> NZ 1909)
My dad's family:  WHITE, CROOK. (Devon => NZ), SCHAEFFER/SCHALFER (Eisenach, Germany), MCFADYEN (Scotland) (=> NZ 1870s)
My daughter's family:  HAILEY, WAKEFIELD (=> NZ 1850s)
My husband's family:  FLETCHER (Goole, Yorkshire => NZ),GREVERS (Wassenaar, Holland), HILL (Devon => Australia), NOTT (Australia)

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 11 November 11 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Excel, Viola?  It would be easiest if I keep this info in an excel spreadsheet format.  I'll turn the rest of the information into a PDF document.
My mum's family:  MESSENGER (=> NZ 1852), ROSCOE/ROSCOW, ROBINSON, GROOMBRIDGE (=> NZ 1909)
My dad's family:  WHITE, CROOK. (Devon => NZ), SCHAEFFER/SCHALFER (Eisenach, Germany), MCFADYEN (Scotland) (=> NZ 1870s)
My husband's family:  FLETCHER (Goole, Yorkshire => NZ),GREVERS (Wassenaar, Holland), HILL (Devon => Australia), NOTT (Australia)

Offline viola2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 12 November 11 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have excel - thanks so much for doing this. This genealogy stuff is incredibly absorbing isn't it?

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 04 January 24 21:30 GMT (UK) »
We now have DNA proof that our George William Wakefield was the child of Ellen Winifred Greeks :-)