Author Topic: GREEKS/ROBINSON/WAKEFIELD elopement and child  (Read 6874 times)

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: GREEKS/ROBINSON/WAKEFIELD elopement and child
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 23:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you!  Lots of interesting snippets to follow.

Foxton School:  I haven't looked at school records, but found mentions of him with his two younger (half?) sisters at the school inspections:
- Manawatu Herald, 12 May 1896 - George Wakefield and Clara Wakefield
- Manawatu Herald, 11 May 1897 - George, Clara and Edith Wakefield

I'll be back after work to post the links to the elopement information.
My mum's family:  MESSENGER (=> NZ 1852), ROSCOE/ROSCOW, ROBINSON, GROOMBRIDGE (=> NZ 1909)
My dad's family:  WHITE, CROOK. (Devon => NZ), SCHAEFFER/SCHALFER (Eisenach, Germany), MCFADYEN (Scotland) (=> NZ 1870s)
My daughter's family:  HAILEY, WAKEFIELD (=> NZ 1850s)
My husband's family:  FLETCHER (Goole, Yorkshire => NZ),GREVERS (Wassenaar, Holland), HILL (Devon => Australia), NOTT (Australia)

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 August 11 06:22 BST (UK) »
So hard to concentrate at work when I just want to dive into the genealogy!

I agree, I raised my eyebrows at the recycling of names William George/George William - if she IS the mother of both of them.  Perhaps she was missing the older one, since it seems the children may have ended up staying with their father.

I will try to track down the researcher who told me there was another woman and see what proof she may have found for the birth.  I can't find any evidence of his birth either way.  Of course, he himself may never have known about his father's escapades with Mrs Robinson.  I would imagine it might have been a family secret.  And if he is Amelia's child instead, being born before the wedding would not be unusual in this line!

I'll attach two of the newspaper sections - the others only repeat what's in these two.

My mum's family:  MESSENGER (=> NZ 1852), ROSCOE/ROSCOW, ROBINSON, GROOMBRIDGE (=> NZ 1909)
My dad's family:  WHITE, CROOK. (Devon => NZ), SCHAEFFER/SCHALFER (Eisenach, Germany), MCFADYEN (Scotland) (=> NZ 1870s)
My husband's family:  FLETCHER (Goole, Yorkshire => NZ),GREVERS (Wassenaar, Holland), HILL (Devon => Australia), NOTT (Australia)

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 October 11 07:56 BST (UK) »
I'm still looking for what became of Ellen Winifred Greeks/Robinson, if anybody has any clues!

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 October 11 10:57 BST (UK) »

Ah ... and Richard ROBINSON (the father of Mary Ann Louisa ROBINSON b. 1881) ... also re-married in 1885. ;)

Richard ROBINSON - Elizabeth Sarah FOWLES -- 1885

Richard ROBINSON and Elizabeth Sarah, divorced in 1900.

"Feilding Star" - 21 April 1900 - A Feilding Divorce Case

Question now is    ...

*  Did Richard ROBINSON obtain a divorce from Ellen Winifred  ... or did she die between 1882 and 1885.  ?

~  Lu

Can't see a death registration for Ellen (or var.) - GREEKS / ROBINSON / WAKEFIELD ... possibly she adopted yet another surname ??

*  Have you checked for a divorce record  (Ellen & Richard)?
[If there was a divorce, then it's likely to have been processed through the Wellington area Court system and many of these cases are not displayed on the Archway website.  You'd need to check with Archives NZ (Wellington) - they have an in-house database of same.]

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 October 11 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Would recommend you get a copy of the Intention to Marry notice (ITM), for the second marriage of Richard ROBINSON to Elizabeth Sarah FOWLES - 1885.

This will tell you if Richard re-married as a widower (and if that was the case, then the date of death may be included.   I say "may be", because a date is not always stated.)

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 October 11 11:33 BST (UK) »
For an ITM request, (as these are only indexed to 1881), you'll need to supply  >>

*   date of marriage --  25 June 1885 / Folio No.  1207

*   place of marriage -- likely Manawatu area (not stated in info from divorce hearing 1900, just says the couple lived in Feilding after their marriage.)

~  Lu

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 October 11 07:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lu!  I'll go hunting that ITM.

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Taonga1,

Here is the ITM:

Intention to Marry Notice. Archives NZ Ref: BDM 20/30 1885 Fielding p.1038/183.
Dated 22 June: Richard ROBINSON, widower, a farmer aged 30 years living at Makino Road, length of residence 3 years, intends to marry Elizabeth Sarah FOWLES, a spinster aged 24 years living at Makino Road, length of residence 1 year, at the Registrar’s Office, Fielding. James (?) BEATTIE, Registrar.

The writing for thie entry was hard to interpret.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Ooooooh, so she did die.   Thank you!  That narrows things down rather a lot.   She goes off the radar in January 1883 after she eloped, aged about 19.  Somewhere between then and June 1885, she may or may not have had another child, and then died somehow. 

I know she fled to Nelson and was introduced to William Wakefield's sister(s) as his wife, then he was arrested and taken back to Feilding charged with theft, which was dismissed. 

I know there'll be a piece of the puzzle just waiting to be discovered somewhere  :-)