Author Topic: Seeton family  (Read 17656 times)

Offline nagpur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carland, Co Tyrone
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 June 07 21:35 BST (UK) »
Abygail,I am new to this site so I have just come across your post re Carland.There is indeed a Church in Carland dated to 1646.I am about 10 mins from the old church and g/yard and will check h/stones to see if any match your names and dates.I know this is a bit late from your orig.post but it might throw something up for you.
Close,Madden,McNulty,McKenna,Tohill,

Offline mossy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 June 07 11:01 BST (UK) »
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 June 07 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Mossy,
Thanks for the post, I hadn't seen either lot of records so they are new to me.   I don't know how many George Seaton's there were at the time so it is debatable if we have a match.   My GGF was born in 1857, and his mother was, according to his marriage certificate, Mary GRIBBLE so Mary CAULTON may be his sister in law as he had a brother called George as well, who immigrated to America. (and I am yet to trace him as well).   Anything new is welcome I can easily determine its relevance / credibility.    Are you in Ireland? as I plan to spend a week there in September so suggestions on places to do research will be most welcome.
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline mossy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 June 07 13:06 BST (UK) »
Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Offline lisaclare

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 November 07 19:57 GMT (UK) »
There is indeed a townland of Mulnagore near Carland and Donaghmore, Co Tyrone.

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Seaton family from Glencon, Newmills, Co Tyrone
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 January 09 02:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello possible cousins,

I have worked back to my great grandfathers parents and found there were several siblings and after tracing forward with each I am hoping that some of my X times removed cousins are tracing their history as well and would like to share their history.

George Seaton married Mary Coulter  26 Dec 1851 at Sandholes Pres church, Desertcrete parish.  they died 1913 and 1923 respectively. both born c1825.
UPDATE:- After reading their entry in the 1911 Census for Ireland, apparently George was born 1822 in Co. Londonderry, and Mary was born 1832 in Co Tyrone.   Mary had given birth to 12 live children, 7 of which were still alive at the time of the Census.  They had been married for 63 years.   So I may have the wrong marriage year.  1848 may be closer to the correct time.   But the 2 offspring listed as still living at home give their ages as 30 and 28 years.   This is app 10 years younger than I had thought.

Some of their sons listed Mary's maiden name as Trimble or Grimble. don't know why.
their children and grandchildren were as follows;

George b Mulnagore when 1855?  need help.????

John   b 1857, m 1895 d 1922 went to Australia,
     3 daughters all dec.,  8 grandchildren, 3 still alive,  30 plus great grandchildren, 60 plus , 30 and still counting on the fifth generation.       my line

Robert b 1860,  married Isabella Baxter, Co Durham Eng.
    son George, 1891 m 1910 to Lily Westhorpes d19??
        daughters Lily and Georgina b1912 & 1916

James bc1862? married Sarah Riddell b 1864 c1901 at Sherrigrim, Newmills. need help

Hugh b1864, married Anne McDonaldson, Glasgow, 1890 d 1897 
     son Hugh b1893 raised in Co Tyrone, married, d c1965?
         1 adopted daughter. with large family

William George b1868? married 1890 Mary Turnbull in Glasgow Scotland,
d 1916,
    2 daughters Lilly b 1894 married Hyslop c1915?  and Mary b 1892

Sarah Jane, single b 1870 d ?1947?

Thomas single, b1872 d 1950?

Matthew b 1873? married Mary Macleish (Irish)c1903?  where ? In 1920 and 1930 US census Hartford Conn. 
     son George E, b c1905 and daughter Marjorie  b c1904
to see addition data re George and Marjorie please refer to
Lookup please - Seaton family, Hartford Connecticut USA

In the Hartford Courant from 12 Nov. 1935:
Matthew Seaton, 62, of 128 Allen Place, died Monday morning at his home.  He leaves his wife Mrs. Mary (Macleish) Seaton, a son George Seaton, and a daughter Miss Marjorie Seaton, both of Hartford.  The funeral will be held Wednesday at 3 p.m. at the funeral homes of Taylor & Modeen, 233 Washington Street.  Rev. Edmund C. Thomas, rector of St. James's church, will officiate.

In the Hartford Courant from 22 Dec. 1940:
Mary A. Seaton, widow of Matthew Seaton, died Saturday evening at her home, 128 Allen Place.  She was born in Ireland and had lived here for 30 years.  She was a member of St. James' Episcopal Church and of the Women's Auxiliary of the church.  She leaves one son, George, and one daughter, Marjorie, both of Hartford.  The funeral will be held at Taylor & Modeen, 233 Washington Street, at a time to be announced.

2 later announcements state that Mary's funeral was to be held Tuesday at 1:30 pm and she would be buried at Cedar Hill Cemetary.

Rebecca, single b1876 d1903

Eliza.... I know very little about her, she is mentioned in letters at the time (1902) I think found her in the 1901 Scottish Census.  Married to Robert Lamont? with 3 sons and 3 daughters and brother in law Matthew Seaton living with them at the time.  Their ages are hard to see on the census.

Eliza... may be older than George, I don't know this or if there was other children born in the first few years of the marriage.   Rebecca appears to have been the last born.
I would love to be able to share extra information with you as well as fill in some gaps and possibly questions answered.
Abygail
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
  Abygail

Offline sdseaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Seeton family
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 May 11 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hello

It appears our family lines may have crossed.  I have been researching a brother and sister, James and Eliza(beth) Seeton (sometimes Seaton) who were both born in C Tyrone (James 1842 and Eliza 1834) arrived in Stoke on Trent in 1850's (living in Stoke in 1861 Census). James Seeton founded a line, now spelled Seaton, of which I am his great great grandson.

In one line of your post you mention "other siblings" including a James and and Elizabeth which could well be the same (certainyl confirm a likely family connection using those names) but I am not clear whose siblings they would be. 

Are you referign to siblings of John Seeton or his father George.  What information do you have on James and Elizabeth that you mention?

The dates don't seem to match up well for them to siblinsg of JohN Seeton..  George and Mary Seeton were too young to be the parents of Eliza and James, but possibly they were all siblings - George (b 1828), Elizabeth (b 1834) and James (b 1842).  That would only be 14 years between them which would be quite possible.
Seton, Seeton, Seaton

Offline sdseaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 August 11 15:30 BST (UK) »
Abygail

Thanks for note - if you want follow up send me an email address / use my email (*) and I will send you what I have collected

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Seton, Seeton, Seaton

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I dare say I do get a bit confusing with my posts at times.  If you have a look for my Seaton posts I have George Seaton and Mary Coulter as the parents of 12 offspring.  I have gathered the names of 11 which I feel is no mean feat given everything.   
I'm guessing that George had siblings named James and Elizabeth as they are both names used with his offspring, so it is very likely that your James and Elizabeth could be siblings of my George Seaton.    From what I have found thus far, George and Mary wed at Sandholes Pres Church in 1852.   Re the age spread of families, my maternal GF was 25 years younger than his older sibling and a 20 year spread is quiet common.    Will PM you my address.
Aby
  Abygail