Author Topic: JAMES EDWARDS Bermondsey 1846  (Read 2901 times)

Offline emmalydia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JAMES EDWARDS Bermondsey 1846
« on: Thursday 04 August 11 09:13 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me find my 2xggrandfather before this date.  It is very hard with the common name.  I know that he was living at Grange Rd, Bermondsey at the time of his marriage and was a tailor with premises (Royal) Circus St, Greenwich between 1846 & 1849. (Greenwich Directory) His father was William Edwards and James married Sarah Elizabeth Fauchon at St James Church Bermondsey 17 Dec 1846.  William is just listed as dead and James was a bachelor so no previous marriages.He & Sarah had a son Friend Henry bap 1847 St Alphege.  They emigrated to South Australia in 1849 so there are no 1851 census records to help me.  He is definitely not the James Edwards baptised at St Alphege in 1817 as I have eliminated that one.  I would be so grateful if anyone could give me some tips for this search which I am doing from Australia.
Hopefully, Emmalydia

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: JAMES EDWARDS Bermondsey 1846
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 August 11 10:55 BST (UK) »
Just by way of interest have you looked into the FAUCHON family, there is a Friend Fauchon living in St Alphage 1841with a wife Sarah, this is possibly Sarah's parents

Still searching for James on 1841 to no avail so far

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 August 11 11:30 BST (UK) »
There seems to be only 1 on 1841 living in Greenwish St Alphage  but he is shown as  a painter

Rosetta Edwards 62
James 25 painter d of b circa 1816
Caroline 30
George 19 painter
John 40 shipwright
John 60
Mary Ann 18

What about a birth James William Edwards born 29/03/1817 to parents John and Rosetta bapt on 23/04/1817 St Alphage, mothers name crossed out and Rosetta put in,  strange thing is on the same bapt page there is a son John baptised same date born 13/07/1807, all details the same except mother is Mary

LM
LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline emmalydia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 August 11 10:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying LM,  Yes, Friend Fauchon is the father and I have a huge amount of information about him and also his wife Sarah Ann Roberts, father James Roberts, in case anyone else wants information on those families.  I keep coming up with the Rosetta Edwards family too but think painter to tailor is a big leap.  I'll look at the baptismal records you mention though.  We have a note from his son in our possession saying that he was a tailor and had dealings with America and not another word about that - perplexing.  I found one James Edwards in the 1841 census saying Taylor in occupation and got my hopes up but there is someone else living with him - the name is just Em as I recall, looks like a wife but could just be a sister.  Another one to follow up.  He definitely had bachelor on marriage in 1846.
Thanks again
 EL

Offline emmalydia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 August 11 01:36 BST (UK) »
Next morning - not so tired.  James' father is definitely William and I think the other name on the 1841 census I found with the occupation Taylor after it is Ann.
EL