Author Topic: Miller Whitehaven  (Read 926 times)

Offline ails81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Miller Whitehaven
« on: Friday 05 August 11 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hello all
I just wondered on the offchance that anyone visits Whitehaven registry office that they could look up a death for me.  I am looking for a Thomas John Miller died 1954 who was born 1930.  I was told he died in Whitehaven.  The only match on ancestry is a John T Miller born abt 1931 died 1954.  So I just want to check this is the man I am after before sending off for certificate as I cant afford to order a wrong one.  His parents were Albert Miller who was a slaters/builders labourer and Theresa Smith.

Many thanks
Aileen
McIntyre and MacInnes, Argyll (mostly Glencoe, Ballachulish, Oban)
McGillivray, Robertson - Sleat, Skye
Sandilands, McNaughton - Abernethy, Perthshire
McCartney - Glasgow, Northern Ireland
Rafferty - Northern Ireland
Doig - Fife

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Miller Whitehaven
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 August 11 16:13 BST (UK) »
You can't just "pop in" to a Register Office and look at the register  :-\

If he died in the 1st quarter of 1954 aged 23 then he was most likely born in 1930 (death certificates didn't give date of birth until 1969, just age).

There was only one John T MILLER died in Cumberland in the 1950s.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline ails81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 August 11 16:20 BST (UK) »
I didnt really mean that.  I meant if anyone happened to be going to Whitehaven registry office for their own research if they would be able to see if this match has the parents im looking for.  I know there is only one match but im still not convinced its him, firstly because the names are round the wrong way.
Most of my research for this family has involved Darlington registry office who offer a wonderful service of checking the record you wish to order to make sure its the one you want (ie correct parents) before you order it.  I wish more registry offices offered this.

Dont worry it will just have to remain a family mystery as I cant spend any money on family research anymore, my 4month old absorbs all that  :-\
Doig - Fife

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 August 11 17:28 BST (UK) »
Ah, I see :)

I don't see that you would get the parents' names - the only names would be the deceased and whoever registered the death.  As he was young, it may have been a sudden death, registered by the Coroner.  :-\  E-mails are very cheap ... why not contact them?

You commented on the order of the names ... was this not him?

Births Dec 1930 
MILLER    John T    (Smith)    Middlesbro'    9d   902
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline ails81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 August 11 19:58 BST (UK) »
I wouldnt have thought so, its all a bit mysterious really.   His birth is another matter that I have struggled with.  There is a record of a Thomas John Miller born in Darlington (which is where his mother was from and was married) but that was in 1917 and then I found a death cert for that Thomas who died as in infant in 1917.  I have then found birth certs for 2 other children Mary (who I dont know what happened to) and George who also died young aged 20 in the merchant navy.  But I cant find thomas b1930 birth cert which is odd as Mary was born 1928 and George 1932 both in Darlington so seems strange he wasnt.  Another family rumour is that he was adopted but I find this difficult to believe as well.

I know Thomas was in the merchant navy as well and died whilst still serving.  The story goes that he fell overboard and drowned.  But I cant find any record of this and I have looked everywhere I can think of. Initially I was told he had died in Scotland but then recently was told specifically Whitehaven which is why I thought it was a strange coincidence that there was that one in Whitehaven right date and age.

I think im too used to scottish certificates having so much information!! I guess the only way I might know its him is if they list his profession and possibly his wife?  I dont actually have any english death certs as all my research is scottish based apart from this branch.
Doig - Fife