Author Topic: Frederick Arthur Morris and Family  (Read 7077 times)

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Frederick Arthur Morris and Family
« on: Friday 05 August 11 21:05 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if someone can possibly help me with this brickwall ?

Frederick Arthur Morris was born Alveley, Shropshire in 1882, son of Richard and Sarah Morris.
Frederick is believed to have emigrated to Canada sometime between 1913 and 1918, and married a Lavinia Evans in 1918, and had several children including Frederick Richard George Morris , Bertram Morris and James Kitchener Morris

Frederick's brother Walter, born 1883, may have also have gone to Canada ?

So far I have been unable to find Frederick or Walter on a passenger list....or any mention anywhere of his wife and children ??
Any help would be much appreciated

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Arthur Morris and Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 August 11 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

What was Frederick's occupation?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 August 11 23:21 BST (UK) »
Aha!  Found their marriage in Toronto, Ontario Sept 30 1908. Its a very bad copy and indexed on ancestry as Marris.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 August 11 23:25 BST (UK) »
Lavina's first name is Edith, if you go to  www.automatedgenealogy.com you will see Frederick and Edith, a son plus Frederick's sister Dorothy in the 1911 census.

K
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 August 11 23:55 BST (UK) »
I see the Free BMD has a marriage for a Richard Morris with a Sarah Ann Downton on the same page which would match with the marriage Karen found which listed Frederick's mother as Ann Downton.

There is a death for a Frederick Arthur Morris at Ancestry (again transcribed as Marris) in Toronto on 2 Oct 1919 at age 37. It says he was a guardman and his cause of death was injuries from a railroad wreck. Unfortunately no parents are listed on the death registration as the informant appears to have been someone from a company (Fred W. Matthews Co) and not a family member. There is a brief article in the Toronto Star regarding the accident however no family members are mentioned. If you PM me your email address I can send it to you in case it is your man.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 August 11 00:09 BST (UK) »
There is also a birth in the Ontario births database for William Bertram Morris who was born 5 Aug 1911 in Toronto to Fredk Arthur Morris and Edith Lavinia Evans. Frederick's occupation is listed as blacksmith on the birth registration.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 August 11 00:40 BST (UK) »
Fred'l A. Morris age 24, a blacksmith came July 26 1907 on the Virginian...
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e147/e003665550.jpg

a Hilda Morris came on the same ship...Dorothy's middle name... I think it says York
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e147/e003665562.jpg

You can see is any others look to be  yours, but that's it for the one ship
http://members.shaw.ca/nfhspaxlists/Y260.pdf

Are the others accounted for back in U.K.? There is a Robert Ernest Morris #3105502 CEF signup but no papers to see age..

Then there is Frank William Morris and I am sure he's yours! Hmmm...bad luck with some of your images, huh?
seems proper reg number is missing, and his description page as well. He was farming 1914 Toronto
http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc011/506170a.gif

and another brother signed up...Richard James Morris, a Wheelright in Toronto 1915
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=177716
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 August 11 08:56 BST (UK) »
Lavina's first name is Edith, if you go to  www.automatedgenealogy.com you will see Frederick and Edith, a son plus Frederick's sister Dorothy in the 1911 census.

K

Hi there,
Many thanks...I tried to get it to work, but could'nt do it. :(

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 August 11 09:01 BST (UK) »
I see the Free BMD has a marriage for a Richard Morris with a Sarah Ann Downton on the same page which would match with the marriage Karen found which listed Frederick's mother as Ann Downton.

There is a death for a Frederick Arthur Morris at Ancestry (again transcribed as Marris) in Toronto on 2 Oct 1919 at age 37. It says he was a guardman and his cause of death was injuries from a railroad wreck. Unfortunately no parents are listed on the death registration as the informant appears to have been someone from a company (Fred W. Matthews Co) and not a family member. There is a brief article in the Toronto Star regarding the accident however no family members are mentioned. If you PM me your email address I can send it to you in case it is your man.

Jacquie

Hi Jacquie...Brilliant !, thank you so much !  someone in the family did mention he died young...Much appreciated. I will PM you.