Author Topic: Frederick Arthur Morris and Family  (Read 7079 times)

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Arthur Morris and Family
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 August 11 09:04 BST (UK) »
Fred'l A. Morris age 24, a blacksmith came July 26 1907 on the Virginian...
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e147/e003665550.jpg

a Hilda Morris came on the same ship...Dorothy's middle name... I think it says York
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e147/e003665562.jpg

You can see is any others look to be  yours, but that's it for the one ship
http://members.shaw.ca/nfhspaxlists/Y260.pdf

Are the others accounted for back in U.K.? There is a Robert Ernest Morris #3105502 CEF signup but no papers to see age..

Then there is Frank William Morris and I am sure he's yours! Hmmm...bad luck with some of your images, huh?
seems proper reg number is missing, and his description page as well. He was farming 1914 Toronto
http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc011/506170a.gif

and another brother signed up...Richard James Morris, a Wheelright in Toronto 1915
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=177716

Absolutley brilliant..many thanks  :) :) :) :)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 August 11 20:15 BST (UK) »
Lavina's first name is Edith, if you go to  www.automatedgenealogy.com you will see Frederick and Edith, a son plus Frederick's sister Dorothy in the 1911 census.

Hi there,
Many thanks...I tried to get it to work, but could'nt do it. :(

I think the site must be temporarily down for some reason as I can't get it to open either.

The family is at 255 Seaton Avenue, Toronto on the 1911 census as follows:

Frederick Morris, head, 28, born Sep 1882 in England, immigration year 1907, blacksmith for railway
Edith Morris, wife, 26, born May 1885 in England, immigration year 1908
Frederick Morris, son, 1, born Sep 1909 in Ontario
Dorothy Morris, sister, 19, born Nov 1891 in England, immigration year 1911
Mammie Evans, sister-in-law, 18, born Jul 1892 in England, immigration year 1911

I think those are the proper ages for Dorothy and Mammie. The image was hard to read.

Based on the census I found the birth for Frederick Richard George Morris on 7 Sep 1909 in Toronto to Frederick Arthur Morris and Edith Lavinia Evans.

JJ, I don't think that says York on the passenger list. It looks like Yorkton to me. Add that the census indicates Dorothy arrived in 1911 would indicate that Hilda is a different person than Frederick's sister.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 August 11 20:30 BST (UK) »
Lavina's first name is Edith, if you go to  www.automatedgenealogy.com you will see Frederick and Edith, a son plus Frederick's sister Dorothy in the 1911 census.

Hi there,
Many thanks...I tried to get it to work, but could'nt do it. :(

I think the site must be down for some reason as I can't get it to open either.

The family is at 255 Seaton Avenue, Toronto on the 1911 census as follows:

Frederick Morris, head, 28, born Sep 1882 in England, immigration year 1907, blacksmith for railway
Edith Morris, wife, 26, born May 1885 in England, immigration year 1908
Frederick Morris, son, 1, born Sep 1909 in Ontario
Dorothy Morris, sister, 19, born Nov 1891 in England, immigration year 1911
Mammie Evans, sister-in-law, 18, born Jul 1892 in England, immigration year 1911

I think those are the proper ages for Dorothy and Mammie. The image was hard to read.

Based on the census I found the birth for Frederick Richard George Morris on 7 Sep 1909 in Toronto to Frederick Arthur Morris and Edith Lavinia Evans.

JJ, I don't think that says York on the passenger list. It looks like Yorkton to me. Add that the census indicates Dorothy arrived in 1911 would indicate that Hilda is a different person than Frederick's sister.

Jacquie
Thank you Jacquie that's really helpful.  :) I think Dorothy married Albert Barksfield and returned back to the UK by 1916?

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 August 11 20:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jacquie that's really helpful.  :) I think Dorothy married Albert Barksfield and returned back to the UK by 1916?

From the Ontario marriages database:

Albert Edward Barksfield, 23, born Frieth Buckshire England, son of James Barksfield and Bessie Webb married Dorothy Hilda Morris, 20, born Alveley Shropshire England, daughter of Richard Morris and Sarah A Dowton on 12 Oct 1912 in Toronto. One of the witnesses was Marian Evans who I assume could be the Mammie Evans on the 1911 census.

Albert E. Barksfield and Dorothy Barksfield were on the Transylvania which departed from New York and arrived in Liverpool on 17 May 1915. Their address was listed as Frieth, Henley-on-Thames and their intended future country of permanent residence was listed as England.

And it looks like Edith's sister Marian married Frederick's brother Frank in Toronto:

Marion Evans, 28, born Eturia, England, daughter of Richard Lloyd Evans and Sarah Ann Rowlands married Frank William Morris, 27, born Alveley, England, son of Richard Morris and Sarah Ann Doutton on 28 Aug 1920 in Toronto.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 August 11 20:58 BST (UK) »
I realized the marriage of Frederick and Edith was mentioned but didn't know if you had the details so in case you don't here they are:

Frederick Arthur Morris, 26, son of Richard Morris and Ann Downton married Edith Lavinia Evans, 23, daughter of Richard Evans and Annie Rowlands on 30 Sep 1908 in Toronto.

Jacquie

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 August 11 21:07 BST (UK) »
I realized the marriage of Frederick and Edith was mentioned but didn't know if you had the details so in case you don't here they are:

Frederick Arthur Morris, 26, son of Richard Morris and Ann Downton married Edith Lavinia Evans, 23, daughter of Richard Evans and Annie Rowlands on 30 Sep 1908 in Toronto.

Jacquie

Thank you Jacquie, you have solved several 'mysteries' in just two messages !!...I have spent years wondering if I would ever find out what happened to the Morris Children !  :) :) :) very much appreciated

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 August 11 21:33 BST (UK) »
There are a couple of family trees at Ancestry that have two other children of Richard Morris and Sarah Ann Dowton in Toronto.

Florence Mary Morris married in Worcestershire, England but died in Toronto. I found a death registration for Florence Mary Downes who died on 14 Aug 1918 and her parents were listed as Richard Morris and Sarah Downton.

There is also an entry which has Elsie May Morris marrying Alfred George Alexander in Worcestershire, England and indicates she died in Toronto on 26 Nov 1986. There is a passenger list at Find My Past that has Alfred and Elsie Alexander (her date of birth was 27 Jun 1894) on the Homeric which departed from Southampton on 23 Jul 1958.

It's great that we could help find some missing Morris children yet we still haven't found a sign of Walter. :P

Jacquie

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 August 11 22:01 BST (UK) »
There are a couple of family trees at Ancestry that have two other children of Richard Morris and Sarah Ann Dowton in Toronto.

Florence Mary Morris married in Worcestershire, England but died in Toronto. I found a death registration for Florence Mary Downes who died on 14 Aug 1918 and her parents were listed as Richard Morris and Sarah Downton.

There is also an entry which has Elsie May Morris marrying Alfred George Alexander in Worcestershire, England and indicates she died in Toronto on 26 Nov 1986. There is a passenger list at Find My Past that has Alfred and Elsie Alexander (her date of birth was 27 Jun 1894) on the Homeric which departed from Southampton on 23 Jul 1958.

It's great that we could help find some missing Morris children yet we still haven't found a sign of Walter. :P

Jacquie
So that's where Florence sneaked off too !! I have been trying to trace her for months. She married William Thomas Downes, but never seemed to settle anywhere. They had two children Florence in 1904 ( who may have died young ?) and a boy named Cyril in 1912. So she may have left the UK sometime after 1912 ?

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 August 11 22:15 BST (UK) »
Speaking of Walter, there is a record at Find My Past in the British Army Service Records database for a Walter Morris born 1884 in Alveley who attested in the Royal Garrison Artillery on 3 Feb 1903. He didn't last long as it says he was discharged 10 Jun 1903 with the reason given being "Not likely to become an efficient soldier."

I think I may have found him on a passenger list for the Tunisian which departed from Liverpool and arrived in Quebec on 8 Jun 1906. The Walter Morris was the right age and was listed as being from Shropshire. He was destined for Toronto. He's on line 10 of the passenger list:
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e147/e003660521.jpg

Jacquie