Author Topic: Surname BOSSHARDT  (Read 5224 times)

Offline moors

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Surname BOSSHARDT
« on: Saturday 06 August 11 15:06 BST (UK) »
Do you have any connection to the surname BOSSHARDT in the Surrey area?
Jeffery Kent Moors Kent/Mddx. Gulley Mddx Bennett Southwark/Devon  Hart Cobham Surrey/Brighton
Bubb Berks/Bucks  Jeffs/Staffs  Baines/Notts  Lambert/Lincs  West/Spinks & Dey-Dye/Norfolk Morrish/Stoke Newington Mddx. Lovell/ Hackney,Shoreditch Blackshaw Clerkenwell/Rotherhithe,. Day& Downer I.O.W. Harknett Essex. Gulley Westminster. Sealey Norfolk. Newling Cambridge/Essex/Herts. Hughes Aldershot/South London. Hartgroves Essex.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surname BOSSHARDT
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 August 11 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

There were only 15 people recorded with this surname on the 1901 census across the whole of England - only three in Surrey all of Swiss origin.
Jacob aged 57 and his daughter Ethel aged 24 and close by Bethy aged 24.

Post 1901 two marriages in Surrey 1928 and 1951 both female (Surrey and Greater London)
Two deaths registered 1924 (Jacob) and 1938 (Ethel A) (Greater London and Surrey)
Four births registered 1910, 1911, 1915 and 1951 (Croydon and Greater London)

so unlikely to be the same Bosshardts

Since the surname is so rare you might want to add your interest to the surnames section of Rootschat and check whether anyone else is expressing an interest in the surname.

http://surname.rootschat.com/

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 August 11 12:46 BST (UK) »
The two deaths that Valda has found Jacob 1924 and Ethel A are I suspect father and daughter

Marriages Sep 1871 
BOSSHARDT    Jacob        Liverpool    8b   311    
Births Jun 1872   
Bosshardt    Ethel Agnes        W. Derby    8b   515

Jacob's probate names Ethel Agnes Bosshart - spinster.

Offline moors

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 August 11 15:11 BST (UK) »
Ernest Bosshardt (M) Edith marshall 1907 Lewisham children
Roland (B) 1908 Croydon Surrey
Elsa C. (B) 1910 Croydon Surrey
Paul (B) 1911 Croydon Surrey  Mothers maiden name MARSHALL
Jeffery Kent Moors Kent/Mddx. Gulley Mddx Bennett Southwark/Devon  Hart Cobham Surrey/Brighton
Bubb Berks/Bucks  Jeffs/Staffs  Baines/Notts  Lambert/Lincs  West/Spinks & Dey-Dye/Norfolk Morrish/Stoke Newington Mddx. Lovell/ Hackney,Shoreditch Blackshaw Clerkenwell/Rotherhithe,. Day& Downer I.O.W. Harknett Essex. Gulley Westminster. Sealey Norfolk. Newling Cambridge/Essex/Herts. Hughes Aldershot/South London. Hartgroves Essex.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 August 11 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

Did the Croydon Bosshardts continue to use that surname/did they remain in this country as they seem difficult to find in the civil registration index? The surname in the marriage entry in 1907 in the civil registration index is given as Bernhardt/Bonhardt.

Regards

Valda

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 August 11 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda

Just for info -
I have been looking for the marriage of Edith Marshall bn 1880 Cambridge for Moors (Edith is my extended family) and located the 1907 marriage the other day with the Bonhardt/Bernhardt marriage and subsequently located the Bosshardt family in 1911. We do not have a copy of the marriage certificate at the moment but are more interested in finding them after their marriage.

After 1911 I have only found the birth registration in 1911 of Paul and a possible marriage for Elsa in Richmond, Surrey to Knut CARLHEIM-GYLLENSKOLD.   According to census Ernest was born c1880 at Grenchen, Switzerland and was a Commercial Clerk in the chemical trade. 

I have no knowledge of what happened to them after 1911 but suspect they could have gone to Switzerland.  We were just hoping that someone would find something we'd missed.

I do not know if Moors knows of anything about Edith in the 1900's - Edith had 4 sisters only one of whom remained in Cambridge near their parents the rest moved to London.

Rosie

Offline Hall of Names

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 August 11 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I just checked out our database and whilst I can't help with your query, I thought it was interesting that BOSSHARDT meant a person who was very tough or inclined to fight!

Best,

Wendy
www.hallofnames.org.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie

I mentioned the marriage in 1907 because it pointed to a different spelling of the surname and perhaps the family went onto use Bernhardt instead of Bosshardt or another variation, since they are difficult to track in that spelling if they remained in England? Having said that nothing showing under Bernhardt either. Because of the First World War and anti German feeling many people with Germanic sounding names (such as the royal family) changed their surnames or left England but if that was the case wouldn't Edith's sisters and their children have some knowledge of this? Perhaps their descendants might be able to help and researching them might find the clue to the Bosshardts?

The marriage in 1928 is Else A Bosshardt, the birth registration in 1910 is Elsa C. I can't see any children of the marriage or any death registrations or any possible death registrations (up to 2005) for any Else As (but I don't know the second name to check the full combination) or Elsa Cs. No Carlheim-Gyllenskolds.

Regards

Valda

Offline Linda Payne

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 22:18 BST (UK) »
I thought I'd add another marriage involving a Bosshardt.  This one took place at Hampstead in 1912.
In the 1911 Census, Walter Bosshardt lived with the John Payne family and in 1912 married a widowed daughter of John Payne.  Family lore reports that after marrying Walter Bosshardt, Isabel Payne Gadsden and her daughter, Isabel Gadsden, moved to Switzerland.  Isabel reportedly had a lingerie shop on the shores of Lake Geneva.  During World War I it became apparent that Walter Bosshardt sympathized with the Kaiser.  The Red Cross (or some such organization) arranged for the two Isabels to travel to the United States where they stayed with E. B. Parker of The Oaks in Houston, Texas.  E. B. Parker was the umpire of the United States-Germany Mixed Claims Commission [reparations] following WWI.

Marriages Jun 1912   (>99%)
~~~~~~~~
Bosshardt  Walter  Gadsden  Hampstead  1a 1483
Gadsden  Isabel  Bosshardt  Hampstead  1a 1483

Register Office of Hampstead, County of London
June 15, 1912  Walter Bosshardt, 33 years, Bachelor, Porcelain Manufacturer's Manager   Residence: 52 Maygrove Road,
Father:  Arnold Bosshardt, (deceased), Architect
Isabel Gadsden, 33 years, Widow, residence: 52 Maygrove Road,
Father:John Payne, Of independent means
Married in the Register Office by Licence before me, Herbert E.Bridger, Registrar     Robert Bridger, Superindtendent Registrar
This marriage was solemnized between us < W. Bosshardt, Isabel Gadsden
In the presence of us, Lilian Ann Barron Payne
John Payne