Author Topic: Possible Jewish ancestry  (Read 5121 times)

Offline m-1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Possible Jewish ancestry
« on: Saturday 06 August 11 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am tracing my German roots and although I have yet to get very far, I have several suspicions that there is a possible Jewish connection.

Maybe I am just being silly but several things have led me to believe this already and then I saw a document on the National Archives' Moving Here website. It's called Male Enemy Alien - Exemption from Internment - Non-Refuge. Although it states people listed may not all be Jewish, it comes across as a co-incidence and furthers my interest in finding out more.

Is there a Jewish Family History website which has German information? The family name I am looking for is Lippert. Would I be able to find out if there any Jews with this surname?

My great grandfather is Otto Wilhelm Lippert and his father is Paul Lippert.

Thanks!!

Miles  ;D

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Jewish ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 August 11 13:33 BST (UK) »
Miles,

I have looked on JewishGen, the Yad Vashem website as well as in online database of the victims of persecution by the Nazis and can confirm that LIPPERT was the surname of a small number of Jewish families.

There does not appear to have been a Jewish community in Hörstel.

There are a lot of LIPPERTs currently living in Hamburg.

Justin

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 August 11 16:14 BST (UK) »
We seem to be assuming WW2 and the Nazi Holocaust, but somehow, rightly or wrongly on the number of generations involved I get the impression the family came here around the turn of the 20th century, i.e. before WW1.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 August 11 17:02 BST (UK) »
first record I can find is for Otto,s marriage in 1917.............then his death which says he was born in 1896........there doesnt seem to be any other record of him prior to 1917 so was he perhaps a refugee from war in europe?

sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 August 11 17:04 BST (UK) »
Maybe, but I had a friend, now sadly deceased whose family came to England in 1900. Refugees from a progrom in Eastern Europe.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 August 11 17:33 BST (UK) »

I notice on Ancestry there is a private tree I think is yours Miles and you have Otto born

Schleswig-Holstein, Germany

is this a guess or have you a reason for believing this is where he was born?
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 August 11 17:44 BST (UK) »
The cards that Miles has found on the moving-here website record the decisions made in 1939 regarding the interment of members of the Lippert family.

Otto's card records his birthplace as Schleswig-Holstein.

Offline m-1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I usually get e-mail notifications from Rootschat when somebody replies to a post of mine but I didn't receive any at all from this thread - strange. I was browsing my history by chance and clicked on this.

Otto, his brother Paul, sister Paula and father Paul probably arrived in England sometime between 1911 and 1917 - that's all I know so far. I don't yet know who the mother was but I expect she must have came over as well.

1896 - Birth of Otto (Schleswig-Holstein)
1898 - Birth of Paula (Stadthagen, Lower Saxony)
1901 - Birth of Paul (Horstel)

And yes, I found the birth places from those documents I mentioned from moving-here. I believe their father, Paul Lippert, must have died before WWII as he doesn't appear in those records.

My grandmother (Otto's daughter-in-law) remembers he was a glass blower and used to have something to do with manufacturing Cork & Seal.

I have a great aunt who, according to my grandmother, has some old documents in written in German, which I'm trying to get hold of. Until then, unfortunately that's about all I know. I've got two photographs of Paula and many of Otto. (My display photo is of Otto and his wife in Charlton)

This is the one line of my family which I'd love to trace, and also the line I know the least about so any help or pointers would be great! :D

Miles

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 12:12 BST (UK) »
There is the death in 1916 of a Paul A. F. Lippert, aged 49, in Edmonton - could be the father?

There is an email here for the city archives of Stadthagen, you could contact them to ask about civil registration of Paula's birth from 1898: http://www.rootschat.com/links/0eqg/  (worth a go - they may charge for an extract).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk