Author Topic: COMPLETED - George ROGERS of Parramatta  (Read 5187 times)

Offline oldjack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George ROGERS of Parramatta
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 October 11 09:43 BST (UK) »
I am a great granddaughter of George Rogers of Sydney, Prospect and Parramatta.  Are you related??  What info are you after regarding George?  Would like to hear from you,  Noreen

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 October 11 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Couple of possibilities.

An 1883 NSW Police Gazette reports a fire on the premises of George Rogers, tailor of George St Windsor.

Also

NSW Police Gazette 23rd May 1866.
Stolen, about 6 p.m. the 16th instant, from the shopdoor of George Rogers, draper, Church-street, Parramatta
-Four pieces of printed calico ; value, £ 4.

Regards
Gerry

Offline Beth42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 07 October 11 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Noreen
Great to hear from you. No, I am not related to George ROGERS but he was a witness when my great great uncle John HURST made his will in 1868 and was also a witness at John HURST's funeral 2 June 1869 at Parramatta - (buried in St John's Cemetery). I have looked at John HURST's will at State Records and there was a note with the will to say that it had been opened and was signed by George Rogers and William Hurst (brother of John Hurst) and dated 1895.

John HURST was born in Ballyreagh Co.Fermanagh Ireland (parents James and Isabella) he came to Sydney (perhaps on the General Wyndham from Liverpool to Sydney 17 March 1857) aged 20 and by 1860 was running a grocery store (John Hurst & Co.) in George Street, Brickfield Hill, Sydney. I am trying to find out more about people he was associated with in Sydney and Parramatta.

Was George ROGERS a grocer or wine merchant? Do you have a copy of George's signature to compare with the one on the Will? Looking forward to hearing from you . . . Beth
Phillips in South Barrow, Somerset, Greenwood in Lambeth
Mitchell in Londonderry, McFarland in Drumneechy
Bale in Barnstaple, Devon and Richmond, Melbourne

Offline oldjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 10:40 BST (UK) »
I am related to George Rogers of Sydney and Parramatta - what info are you after??  NC

Offline oldjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 10:41 BST (UK) »
I am related to George Rogers of Sydney and Parramatta - what info are you after??  NC

Offline oldjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 10:59 BST (UK) »
Beth,  As far as I know my George Rogers had a shop only in Parramatta St. Sydney, then he moved to Prospect and then to the Western Road , known as either Mays Hill, Westmead or Parramatta. I dont think he was  in Windsor, only Sydney and  Parramatta, - there was another George Rogers in Parramatta and Windsor.    George died in 1913.  He was still in Sydney in 1872 but by 1878 he was in Prospect.  Would you like more information on George Rogers?
Are you on the Central Coast of NSW??  Noreen

Offline Beth42

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 October 11 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Noreen
Yes I am on the Central Coast and a member of the Central Coast Family History Society. I would love some more information about George Rogers, please. What sort of a shop did he have - grocery or tailor? When was he born and where? Do you have a signature for George Rogers. I am enclosing a signature that was on John Hurst's will when it was opened 7 April 1891 - 22 years after John Hurst died.  Kind regards . . . Beth
Phillips in South Barrow, Somerset, Greenwood in Lambeth
Mitchell in Londonderry, McFarland in Drumneechy
Bale in Barnstaple, Devon and Richmond, Melbourne