Author Topic: Look-up request: Ruabon PRs -- DAVIES  (Read 8410 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look-up request: Ruabon PRs -- DAVIES
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 August 11 11:51 BST (UK) »
There is also a Trefnant in Shropshire, which should be considered as margaret is down b. Shropshire:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ek8/

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 August 11 12:08 BST (UK) »
Rol

I see from

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,431053.msg3094921.html#msg3094921

that you have transcribed the TD of Thomas, jnr. Here you say:

...and consent of Thomas Davies sometime Tacksman of Conage now residing in Inverness their Father....

We know what a tacksman was but I've not been able to find Conage - are you sure of this word/location?*

gnu

* Added - forget this - I see it was a farm in Ardesier, where the airport is. I must have flown over it many a time  :)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0eka/

Addition 2 - I see on NAS

The lordship of Petty and barony of Connage: rentals, rental books, papers relating to leases and to the management of the estates etc. (1 bundle of 13 papers and 3 vols, 8/25/ 14, 15 & 16).

Ref     GD23/8/25
Covering dates 1815-1830

They might have something about Thomas Davies in them.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 August 11 14:18 BST (UK) »
A bit more ~

27 March 1800  Marriage of  Elizabeth Davies and William Hughes in Chirk by licence. Witnesses - John Jones and Mary Jones

Some of the trees have Elizabeth as Thomas's elder daughter b. 6 Sept 1782, Trefynant but no baptism record in Chirk, Ruabon or Llangollen PRs. There is, however, (on the IGI extracted series)  a birth 6 Sept 1782/baptism 15 Sept 1782, St Chad, Shrewsbury - parents were Thomas Davies and Margaret. Oh how I hate sloppy research!  Also a submitted marriage of Thomas Davies and Margaret Pepple, Westbury, Shropshire, 13 Feb 1782. Not found but Westbury is not far from the Shropshire Trefnant.  http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SAL/Westbury/index.html

Very strange info on William - Barrister in London and died/buried Northamptonshire 1836. First child supposedly b. Penyclawdd April 1801 but no baptism in Chirk. Second and third children b. Northamptonshire in 1805/1807

I'm wondering if Thomas Davies was b. in the Shropshire Trefnant and began  working on the Montgomery Canal (1792-3) and hence to Chirk and Ruabon via the Ellesmere one.

A nice map of the Ellesmere and Montgomry canal, etc. here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b9/Camlas_ellesmere.png

::)

gnu

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 August 11 15:43 BST (UK) »
WOW!!!!!!  x MILLIONS! :D

gnu -- as Rol already knows -- I'm just a fumbling newbie here(only started a few months back); and so, for me, to watch you two expert genealogists "go at it", pulling together little gems of information gleaned (in many cases) from sources I've never even heard of, and then developing and testing theories, with such grace, skill and apparent effortlessness is just totally awe-inspiring!  I just hope that one day I'll become as skilled at this as you both are. 

And I end up, after all this, with a ton of new and fascinating information about my ancestors! And all organised for me while I was sound asleep (gnu, I live in US and so am in a different time zone -- hence my lack of earlier input) and served up to me, like a magnificent breakfast, as soon as I woke up and got back on here!

I appreciate that, for you two experts, it is the thrill of the chase that keeps you at it, providing possibly as much reward as the knowledge that you're helping someone less experienced along; but the words "thank you" nevertheless seem hopelessly inadequate as a return for all this work.  But thank you!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :) :) :) :)     

PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 August 11 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Annie

Glad I could help  :)

It might be worth waiting for Rol to come along in the early hours to see if he's got anything else to add.

I'm fairly sure that the 1799 baptism is your Anne. This is borne out by the baptisms of Owen and John  :) I've not followed her sisters who married in Scotland yet. Did any of them die there post 1855?  if you don't know, maybe Rol could help out.

gnu

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 August 11 17:21 BST (UK) »
hello gnu! :)

we know that two of the sisters (Margaret & Mary) emigrated with their spouses (unknown if at the same time) to Quebec, Canada.  Rol did considerable work on Margaret & husband Lachlan Mackay and their rather interesting progeny:

www.rootschat.cpm/forum/index.php/topic,458338.0.html

haven't researched the deaths of the other siblings, yet; but presumably you're meaning that there might be some interesting info. to be grabbed from death certificates relating to birth places/dates which might throw further light on the travels and activities of TD senior?!  I imagine this unfortunately involves spending money on Scotlandspeople (!); but it seems like an interesting avenue for research and is one I will bear in mind for the future.  thanks for pointing this out -- as a newbie, it's not something that had occured to me.

it's interesting to know that two of Thomas and Margaret's children were twins (so some others might have been, too!), given just how many children the two of them did produce!  no wonder the poor woman died comparatively young!

thank you again. :)

CELTICANNIE.
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 August 11 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

It's not clear from Rol's thread whether Lachlan and Margaret went to Canada. There's a lot of information but on a quick perusal, he mentions that "at least 3 of their children" went. 

If they remained in Scotland and died after 1855, their parents names and occupations would appear on their death certs.  I've not even looked for them on the early Scottish censuses yet.

I note that Thomas Davies died in 1840 according to one of those 'dubious trees', although I don't see a death for him in the incomplete OP records on SP.

gnu

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 04:33 BST (UK) »

Hi Gnu and Annie,

Rather thought that post of mine would catch your eye,  Gnu. ;)  Glad to see how you have opened things up.  But I am afraid that the purpose of this missive is just to say that I am going to have to defer making a substantive reply for a little,  because I am very time-poor this week and mostly have to be away from base.  Still,  I can assure you both that there is more to tell on the bigger picture -- and I plan to tell it,  if others don't first!

Rol

P.S.  Gnu,  ref. your Reply 11 above,  if you get a moment take another look at your inbound PMs for 20 Feb. 2011 and the old Pen y Clawdd,  Chirk thread. :)

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Rol

Time is always a problem and it does seem to go faster as one gets older!  (I don't keep my PMs for very long so don't have the one dated 20 Feb)

I think that I might have completed my contribution to Annie's requests as I've found a baptism for her and her twin brothers in the Chirk registers. However, this posting concerns William Hughes, husband of Elizabeth Davies and, maybe, should be added to the original Penyclawdd thread but I've added it here to keep things together. Also, I'd rather keep to one persona at a time  ;D

One of the Ancestry trees (pearsall) has William Hughes b. Penyclawdd in 1779 with parents John Hughes (esq) (1742-1781) and Mary Jones. There is a baptism in the Chirk PRs   -

4 March 1779 (b. 15 Feb) William Hughes s/o John and Mary Hughes of Penyclawdd. No Esq  or Mr after John's name.

There is no baptism circa 1742 and no burial circa 1781 in Chirk for John Hughes. There are Hughes in Penyclawdd at this date but, as stated elsewhere, Penyclawdd was a township not an individual dwelling and Hughes is not the most uncommon of names.

[The same tree has John Hughes, b. 1805, Northamptonshire (son of Elizabeth and William and the source of Rol's original interest)  but then links to an 1841 census image, HO107/682/1/18/30 which shows a John Hughes, 35, Barrister, born Scotland.]

It also shows the birth of John Hughes (1742)'s father as Daniel Hughes, b. Penyclawdd 3 July 1694. The Chirk PRs are missing between 1687 and 1696. According to the tree, he died 14 August 1754 but, again,  no burial in Chirk. Daniel's parents are recorded as John Hughes (1662-1694)  and Dorothy Lloyd (1662-1691). This is even weirder as Dorothy was dead 3 years before she gave birth to him, having died in childbirth on 2nd July 1691. Dorothy is of the Lloyds of Plymog, Llanferres.

The St Asaph Notitiae  for Chirk (1681) has no Hughes (or ap Hugh/Huw) listed under Penyclawdd.

I am assuming that the info on the early recorded Hughes family has been taken from one of the ancient pedigrees, if not then the information (as far as the Chirk records are concerned) cannot be substaniated.

gnu

added - very much an aside but I expect Rol might be amused ~ while searching the Gale collection for Penyclawdd refs, I discovered that in Sept 1858 my great grandfather (then aged about 11) won the prize at the Chirk Flower Show for the best 6 dessert apples  8)