Author Topic: 78th Regiment of Foot - McDonald  (Read 4827 times)

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
78th Regiment of Foot - McDonald
« on: Tuesday 03 May 05 07:32 BST (UK) »
I have been given a Long Service & Good Conduct Medal, awarded for 21 years of undetected crime to Donald McDonald of the 78th Regt of Foot, dated 1838. I know that the 78th were the Rosshire Buffs and are now 2nd Bn Seaforth Highlanders. I can't seem to get a lead on this soldier. Can anyone help me?
Thanks
Bob
McGrath; Charters; Fenner; O'Hara; Carleton; Sloan; Tobergill Street; Cambria Street; Ghent Street

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 78th Regiment of Foot - McDonald
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 May 05 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob2399,
If you go into ,The national Archives, uk.
then, The Catalogue.
Up the top, click on ,Search the Archives, the drop down,
to Procat, then search. and put in Donald McDonald,
under WO.
 4 possibles come up.
wo97/887/104, and 105, and 106, and 107.
the first one, is very likely your fellow. It would have meant that he received his Medel, quite a bit later.
With these numbers, you can order the paper work. for very little. they require, a down payment of about 10 pounds , then they give you a quote, and the total cost comes out of the first money you send them, It is a great deal.
regards.
kenjo ;)
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 May 05 09:13 BST (UK) »
Wow, That is great many thanks kenjo
I'll let you know how I go
Cheers
Bob
McGrath; Charters; Fenner; O'Hara; Carleton; Sloan; Tobergill Street; Cambria Street; Ghent Street

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 May 05 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Kenjo.
I have had a look at the Nat Archives and reckon that my man could be one of three, either WO97/887/105 - 106 or 107. These are the ones that fit the facts that I have. It can't be 104 as he was discharged in 1826. I don't think that the medal would have been issued 12 years after he was discharged!
I shall now try and work him forward to the guy who gave me the medal. he is called Douglas McDonald and was in RAF in WW2. Thanks again
Bob

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 May 05 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob,
Yes!
I am sorry, you are right! :-[
Later when I looked again, I realised I was swayed by the fact youput the thread on R&C. That's why I thought the wrong guy was right. :-\
I think there was one discharged 1838? from Farr?
Anyway good luck. :P
kenjo

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 June 05 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Kenjo. I have received the documents from the Nat Archives re Donald McDonald. I eventually ordered all 3 sets. Sadly all 3 were medically discharged but oen of them looks worthy of more research. he is 61 Donald McDonald and he enlisted in 1814 at age 16. He rose to sgt and was discharged on 7th April 1838.
Despite not being certain of the actual man, they make really great reading
Thanks again

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 June 05 10:31 BST (UK) »
i HAVEN'T YET, DONE THIS......[ ordering the documents]
BUT,
you can put in 78th, and up comes all the pay lists, in yearly quarters, for all that reg: like I said I haven't got around to doing this, so can't say what you would receive, but I am presuming that if you picked the right quarter where your man was definitely in the service, you will see all men listed, plus your man. if this is the case. then you could be futher along in pin pointing your fellow.
kenjo