Author Topic: Portugese Relatives  (Read 4190 times)

Offline GCE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Portugese Relatives
« on: Monday 08 August 11 12:47 BST (UK) »
I believe that my Gt Gt Grandmother's family were Portugese and her father was a wine importer. Their family name was da Silva Povoas and it is possible they were Jewish. How can I trace the family beyond the East End where they lived in England.

GCE

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Portugese Relatives
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 14:39 BST (UK) »
Sorry I can't help you, but I'll be interested in any response you get.  My g.g.grandmother was supposed to be Spanish or Portuguese with a name something like Da Costa and lived in Bethnal Green.  Like you I think the family must have been Jewish, but my g.grandfather's name was definitely English.  Unfortunately, as he didn't marry g.gran I can't get any further back.

Lizzie

Offline GCE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 14:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks I will keep you posted if anything comes up that may help you too!

GCE

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 13:47 BST (UK) »
Can you give details of your Gt Gt Grandmother?

The name seems to be Portuguese (it could be in the style where "da Silva" originally referred to the mother's family and "Povoas" to the father), but there are people by this name using Anglican churches for baptisms and marriages in London the 1800s.

If this is related to the marriage of Edward Knight and Charlotte de Silva Povoas in 1843 in London, then you may be interested in a marriage that appears in Boston in 1870 (familysearch.org; there are a couple of hits for it, one has the actual image), for William Johnstone and Charlotte Knight. Both list themselves as b. England and on their second marriage; he says he is 41, parents John and Jane, a ship's steward, she says she is 40 (white lie?), parents Antonio and Charlotte Povoas.

http://books.google.com - has a list of Portuguese residents in London who were signatories to some kind of document in 1821, among them Antonio da Silva Povoas.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GCE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 18:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks that is them! However, cannot tie a birth for Edward John Knight my gt grandfather to them as he does not appear on any census until 1871 and the only record is his marriage to Caroline Stephens in August 1869. He claims to be born in Lea Bridge in 1845, his marriage certificate gives his father as a land agent. The only one who fits is the Edward Knight born in Rochester Kent to John Knight a greengrocer. Edward senior dies in Somerset. On all census from 1851 onwards he claims he is a widow which is obviously a lie given that Charlotte turns up in America and marries William Johnstone.

We have a theory that Edward junior ended up at the London Orphange School in Hackney - very close to Lea Bridge!! This later becomes Reeds School in Surrey. Have no proof he was there but if his mum ran off to America and his Dad travelled for his work unless a relative took him in where would he go and why can we find no birth certificate or evidence of him until his marriage.

GCE

Offline GCE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 18:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry jorose tried the googlebooks link but did not know where to go from there. Would you direct me please?

Thanks GCE

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It seems that maybe her father also married in London.

Antonie Da Silva Povoas married Charlotte Bishop on  08 Mar 1817 at  St Matthew, Bethnal Green, Middlesex

Witneses were Fanisio Pallacios? & ? Ames

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 18:42 BST (UK) »
Antonio & Charlotte have a few children, if you require info I will post their baptisms for you.

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline GCE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 18:45 BST (UK) »
Yes that is right. Still not sure if Povoas or da Silva is jewish! Even though they married in an Anglican church several relatives have always believed the Knights were descended from Jews