Author Topic: Destruction of headstones  (Read 3445 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Destruction of headstones
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 13:00 BST (UK) »
I don't think anyone is looking to BBC Wales to act as mediator or arbitrator but to broadcast as widely as possible the outrage caused by these wanton acts of desecration.  If the relevant notices as required under the Act  were not posted, there clearly will be no 'cogent legal reasons' for this vandalism.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 14:46 BST (UK) »
The newspaper report states that the police are awaiting an official complaint.  Has anyone done this yet?

It's bad enough when the stones fall by themselves, or are pushed over as dangerous in other graveyards, but to drive over them with a digger is beyond the pale.

Lizzie

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 15:10 BST (UK) »
I don't think anyone is looking to BBC Wales to act as mediator or arbitrator but to broadcast as widely as possible the outrage caused by these wanton acts of desecration.  If the relevant notices as required under the Act  were not posted, there clearly will be no 'cogent legal reasons' for this vandalism.

I'm sorry but it was not I that suggested contacting BBC Wales. I'm sure that they would see it as a good story and a greater number of people will be appalled but this will do nothing to restore the headstones neither will it bring about any form of redress against the perpetrator; if indeed they are guilty of an offence.

Anyone suitably outraged should draw the matter to the attention of the appropriate authority. If nobody cares to, the matter is likely to go away by default.

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 19:11 BST (UK) »
The story hit ITV Wales 6 o'clock news this evening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csVqgGPgB-o