Author Topic: WORLD WAR2 EVACUEES  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Val in Tasmania

• RootsChat Extra
  • TASMANIA,MY HOME STATE FOR 12 YEARS
    • View Profile
WORLD WAR2 EVACUEES
« on: Tuesday 03 May 05 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone from the West Coast Of Tasmania

Is there anyone who could tell me how children/mothers qualified as evacuees from Liverpool to South Wales in the second world war. Are there records available? Who organised it all.

Best Wishes

Val
CUTTS,FLEMING,ELTON

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WORLD WAR2 EVACUEES
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 May 05 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Val
Welcome, hope you enjoy rootschat as much as I do.
Try this site from the bbc there are lots more links, all detailing some personal stories of children who were evacuated as well as background to evacuees.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/war/wwtwo/evacuees_07.shtml
hope that helps,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Val in Tasmania

• RootsChat Extra
  • TASMANIA,MY HOME STATE FOR 12 YEARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 May 05 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Newbie
Mobo put me onto this and indeed it is a lovely site. Thanks for the reply. I will go there now. My late mum was an evacuee.

val :D
CUTTS,FLEMING,ELTON

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 May 05 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi again Val,
I just checked the bbc again, and if you click on "Operation Pied Piper" from the link I gave you it gives an explanation as to why the evacuation was organised. here's a bit
     .....The evacuation of Britain's cities at the start of World War Two was the biggest and most concentrated mass movement of people in Britain's history. In the first four days of September 1939, nearly 3,000,000 people were transported from towns and cities in danger from enemy bombers to places of safety in the countryside.

Most were schoolchildren, who had been labelled like pieces of luggage, separated from their parents and accompanied instead by a small army of guardians - 100,000 teachers. By any measure it was an astonishing event, a logistical nightmare of co-ordination and control beginning with the terse order to 'Evacuate forthwith,' issued at 11.07am on Thursday, 31 August 1939. Few realised that within a week, a quarter of the population of Britain would have a new address.

There is lots more info from that link, well worth a read.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk