Author Topic: Patrick Ward  (Read 2652 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Ward
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 May 21 08:41 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Great to have family information passed down, especially for a period when records are scarce. The approx. year of birth for daughter Diadema (1796) does mean that her father Patrick Ward could not have been born c1786 as in TforMcNab's original post.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Run.woman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 May 21 15:13 BST (UK) »
It IS remarkable to have this sort of "oral history"!  I am so glad I copied my grandmother's words down.  I should add that her stories have been borne out closely (if not perfectly) in historical records, so we can give a bit more weight to their veracity.

Diademia would have been my grandmother's great-grandmother.  Although she died about 40 years before my grandmother was born (in 1901), Diademia's grand-daughter, Carolyn (Robarts) Knowlton lived 1840 - 1936, overlapping for some years with Diademia (I think) and for many years with my grandmother.  I do recall my grandmother talking about Carolyn.   

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 May 21 19:51 BST (UK) »
My grandmother's family were also from Nova Scotia and great story tellers so I know that my grandmother's mother (d.1929) was afraid of fire (she saw St. John, N.B. burn in the 1870s), her grandmother (d.1916) did her shopping in Boston, Massachusetts (train then ferry to Boston) rather than N.S., her favourite country was Turkey and lots more which I've tried to write down as soon as I could.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Run.woman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 May 21 19:58 BST (UK) »
Did your Grammy refer to the USA as "the Boston States"?  Mine was probably more careful with her diction, but many used that expression!

So nice to have these stories and to be able to write them down and share with the future, I think!