Author Topic: I found this story on my GG Grandfathers death  (Read 5821 times)

Offline amz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I found this story on my GG Grandfathers death
« on: Tuesday 09 August 11 14:25 BST (UK) »
Dennis Kenny died 31.08.1923

Copied from Wicklow People            September, 1923

BULL FEARFULLY MANGLES AN OLD MAN ANIMAL ALSO ATTACKS HIS SON

A SHOCKING FATILITY TOOK PLACE AT TIGRONEY NEAR AVOCA ON FRIDAY EVENING THE VICTIM BEING DENNIS KENNY AGED 78 YEARS, A WELL KNOWN LOCAL RESIDENT IN THE DISTRICT.  HOW HE SUSTAINED THE TERRIBLE INJURIES WHICH ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS DEATH IS ONLY A MATTER OF CONJECTURE, FOR THE TRAGEDY WAS ONLY DISCOVERED WHEN HIS MANGLED BODY WAS FOUND BY A SMALL BOY BUT IT WAS REGARDED AS SIGNIFICIENT THAT IN THE FIELD, WHERE HIS REMAINS WERE DISCOVERED, THAT THERE WAS A BULL, HIS PROPERTY, WHICH WAS NOTED FOR ITS WICKED PROCLIVITIES, AND IT IS ASSUMED THAT THE ANIMAL ATTACKED AND SAVAGELY MAULED THE UNFORTUNATE MAN WHOSE AGE WAS A SEVERE HANDICAP TO EITHER ESCAPE OR THE CHANCE OF PUTTING UP A SUCCESSFUL FIGHT FOR HIS LIFE.  THE TRAGIC OCCURANCE HAS NATURALLY CREATED A THRILL OF HORROR IN THE NEIGHBOURHOOD.

THE INQUEST

On Saturday evening Mr. James Murray, Coroner held an inquest touching the sad affair at the late residence of the deceased who was a small farmer.

The following were sworn on the jury Messrs. Edward Johnson (Foreman), Jos. Walsh, John Burns, Nicholas Dunne, W. Sheehan, Peter Murphy, Patrick Rapers, James Mackey, Mark Earls, Patrick McCluskey, Michael Moore, Wm. Hall and John Tuke.

Sergeant Gallagher and Guard Watson were present on behalf of the Civic Guard.

The first witness was a young lad of 13 years of age, named Thomas Bury, Cronebane, who stated that on Friday evening between seven and eight O’Clock, he was going across the hill at Tigroney, and in a field he saw a hat and a stick lying on the ground.  He immediately guessed who owned them, and he went to look for the deceased.  He did not see any sign of the body, and neither did he see any sign of the bull about the place.

Dennis Kenny, son of the deceased, stated that on Friday evening the previous witness came to where he was working and handed to him his father’s hat and stick.  He asked the boy where he had got them, and he replied that he found them on the top of the hill.  He started back with the boy to the field and before he reached it he saw the body lying at some distance from him.  He saw his father was dead and was lying on his right side, but he did not go close to the body, but he went back for a brother of his.  The bull which was in the field which belonged to his father was naturally wicked.

Replying to the coroner, the witness said that the same evening when he went to the field, the bull made an attack upon himself.  To escape from the animal, he had to run and get across the ditch.

Guard Watson, Avoca stated that in consequence of a report made to him about 8.20 on Friday evening he proceeded to Cronebane where the body of the deceased was lying in the field in the position as described by the previous witness.  Witness noticed several marks of hoofs and horns on the ground where the deceased lay, and the body presented the appearance of having being gored by some animal.  The clothes were nearly all torn off the body.  On searching the pockets, witness found in them a deposit receipt for nearly £100, several bank notes, some loose silver and copper, an old age pension book and various small articles.  Dr. Doyle arrived soon afterwards and examined the body and had it removed to the house.

Dr. Wm F. Doyle, Avoca stated that about 9.30 on Friday evening he got a call to Cronebane.  He went there immediately and found the deceased in the position described by the previous witness and quite dead.  He had the body removed to the house and that morning he head a superficial examination.

There were contused wounds on the forehead and nose, and an incised wound on the left temple.  There were lacerated wounds on the right cheek, bruises on the chest, the third rib of the left side was fractured, as was also the ninth rib of the right side.  There were bruised on both legs, and contused wound on the back of the right hand.  Death was due to shock resulting from these wounds, which he though would have been caused by some animal with hoofs or horns.

The Coroner said the jury had given the matter patient investigation, but none of the witnesses had been able to prove direct connection between the bull and the very serious injuries which the deceased received.  In all probability in fact it was beyond probability from the evidence given by the son, and from the Doctors evidence, there could be no reasonable doubt but that the wounds were inflicted on the unfortunate man by the bull, which was his own property.

In corroboration of this belief was the son’s statement that the bull was wicked and had actually attacked him the same evening.  He (Coroner) was sure the jury would appreciate the very effective and prompt action of the Civic Guard in this matter, and especially that of Guard Watson.

The Jury found a verdict in accordance with the medical testimony, adding that as to how the injuries were inflicted they had no direct evidence to prove, but that they were probably caused by the bull, his own property.  They commended also the prompt action of the Civic Guard in this matter, and especially that of Guard Watson.

Offline saradelgany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: I found this story on my GG Grandfathers death
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 12:33 BST (UK) »
That was very interesting..What an awful way to go...I also have the coroner's report from Wicklow on my great uncle who died in 1909 of a gunshot wound.  It also said he was "quite dead".  That must be an expression used back then in Wicklow...

Sara C.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 13:00 BST (UK) »
That is a fairly graphic account. It certainly adds a lot of 'colour' to your tree and makes it all come alive, even though it is an account of his death .... but, you know what I mean.  ;)

Offline dillonking

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 November 11 18:04 GMT (UK) »
What a fascinating story! I hope I will come across something like that in my family.
Dublin : King, Burgess, Toole, Martin, Keogh
 Wicklow : Toole, Burgess, , Mc Loughlin, Doyle,  Warren,
Armagh: Reynolds Vallely
Monoghan: Burgess
Keogh. Delgany : Doyle White and possibly McLoughlin
Carlow: Dillon, Delaney
Unknown county: Sweeney and Moran. Sweeneys went to Lpool 1840s and Michael Moran 1820s