Author Topic: Canadian Don Fennah  (Read 4505 times)

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Don Fennah
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 August 11 20:23 BST (UK) »
www.cwgc.org/default.asp

go to search and type in only Fennah, leave everything else blank and it will bring up all the surnames of Fennah that died in any of the wars.

this is a son of Harry and Nellie

William F. (Bill) Fennah
Canadian, Private, Algonquin Regiment RCIC
age 23, death 09/08/1944
Service # B55461
son of Harry and Nellie Fennah of Kirkland Lake, Ontario

Commonwealth War Dead
Bretteville-Sur-Laize Canadian War Cemetery

I know that you are searching for Susan but all this other info may eventually lead to her.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 12 August 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
There is a Fennah Road in Kirkland Lake and a Fennah Lake just north of it  ( May be coincidence, but perhaps named after the two fallen Heroes...)
I would write to that single Fennah as suggested by valerie!!! He's bound to know something about the family, just noted that he lives on Fennah Road...

or you could also write to the library for any other references... http://cobaltlibrary.com/index.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 August 11 00:07 BST (UK) »
www.ancestorsonboard.com

I went to the above site (a pay site) to hopefully find a passenger list for Susan and Alfred but didn't really find anything. I was hoping to find a return trip for a visit to England but didn't come up with anything.

Possible passenger list for Alfred
A Fennah, b. 1882, 1905 Liverpool to Quebec

Someone may be able to access this passenger list and see what info is on it.

I did find a few interesting passenger lists though.

Harry Fennah, b. 1890, 1920 Liverpool to Quebec
Nellie Fennah, b. 1897, 1920 Liverpool to Quebec

also
Harry Fennah, b. 1897, 1955 Liverpool to Montreal
Nellie Fennah, b. 1890, 1955 Liverpool to Montreal
It appears the birth years have been mixed up.

Frank Fennah, b. 1891, 1924 Liverpool to Quebec
Arabella Fennah, b. 1897, 1924 Liverpool to Quebec
Clement Fennah, b. 1924, 1924, Liverpool to Quebec
Nellie Fennah, b. 1898, 1924, Liverpool to Quebec
Wm Frank Fennah, b. 1922, 1924, Liverpool to Quebec

Does Clement belong to Frank and Arabella or to Nellie? I would think that Wm Frank would be the son that died in 1944 (WW2)

I also looked for Susan under M or S and also traveling through the USA but didn't find anything that would help pinpoint her whereabouts after the death of Donald Clement in 1943.

A suggestion would be to contact the library in Cobalt or local newspaper archives and ask for a search of the newspapers around the time of Donald's death. There should be a writeup on it in a newspaper. My father was a RCAF crewmember in Malta and India and there were several writeups during the time he served both in the local papers and also the larger province wide papers. The papers almost always had articles on members who died in action, as well as promotions, etc. The communities were very proud of those who served.

Also on ancestry there are a few family trees on this family so if you haven't already checked those, I would suggest doing so.

Also
Frank Fennah and Arabella Walker married in Dec. quarter 1922. I believe that he and Harry are probably brothers but a definite relationships exists between all 3.

There should be Form 30 A's on Harry and Frank so I will have a look at Library and Archives Canada to see what info it may give.

Also, can you confirm that Alfred's parents may or may not be Adam Clement Fennah and Martha Fennah. Do you know the names of Susan's parents and if so can you provide them.

In 1901 Census of England, there is
Adam C. Fennah, age 55
b. Chester, Cheshire
Living - Birmingham, Aston
Occupation - Railway Engineer Driver

possible son
Adam Fennah
b. Chester, Cheshire
living -  Birmingham, Aston
occupation - iron turner

Susan Herring
age 18
b. Wilts Stratton
living - Birmingham, Aston
Occupation - size dressing

Alfred Fennah
age 19
where born not given
living - Birmingham, Aston
occupation -  railway engine fitter

In 1911 Adam Clement Fennah, age 63 is living in Aston

nothing conclusive in 1911 for Alfred and Susan

Is it possible that she may have had a nickname or everyday name other than Susan that we can also look for.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 August 11 00:19 BST (UK) »
I went back to the Incoming Passenger lists at Ancestry

They do have a Susan Fennah, port of arrival - Liverpool, as well as Arsbella, Frank, Harry, Mrs. Fennah, Master Fennah and Alfred Fennah.
I'm sorry but I don't subscribe and therefore can't help with the information on the lists.
Ancestry has a free trial that you can use to access the info. Also some libraries subscribe to ancestry and you may be able to access the information that way as well. I would check with your local library to see if they do subscribe. This may give you some information as the passenger lists go to I think 1960.
Val

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 August 11 00:49 BST (UK) »
2 sites that may be helpful

www.temisklibrary.com/Index.html
look under Your Library On-Line
under genealogy links
also has a contact section

this may get you directly to the links
www.temisklibrary.com/GenealogyLinks.html

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 13 August 11 04:06 BST (UK) »
Here is the form 30a for William Frank Fennah....1924 age 2 years old, with mother Nellie, May 2nd on the Montrose. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/microform-digitization/006003-119.01-e.php?q2=5&q3=579&sqn=3076&tt=4690 It was out of whack alphabetically, and I don't see the 1920 entries...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 August 11 19:56 BST (UK) »
Some possible sightings for Susan ....

A W Fennah 25
Susie 23
A 3
Returned Canadians, destination Montreal, Quebec
23 Mar 1907 on the Victorian into Halifax Nova Scotia

Susan Fennah 29
Returned Canadian, destination Montreal, indicates has been there 2 years if I interpreted correctly.
07 Oct 1911 on the Megantic into Quebec City

Mrs Susan M Fennah 32
Alfred Wm 11
Returned Canadians, destination Cobalt, Ontario, indicates has been here 4 years (does she mean just Cobalt?)
17 Apr 1916 on the Scandinavian into St John New Brunswick

I haven't been able to find what would be considered an original immigration for Susan. Given the rarity of the name Fennah, combined with the rest of the info it looks like these records may all be related to your Susan.

There is passenger listing for an Alfred Fennah Engine Fitter 23 b. England, destination Montreal, but he is listed as single? Arrival 10 Jun 1905 on the Bavarian into Montreal. He may be related to the above info?

Couldn't find him in the Montreal directory but you could try with different spellings of the name.

http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index.html

Start with Serie principale and it is English after that.

Polarbear

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 August 11 02:13 BST (UK) »
No Fennah in Montreal except for one entry 1908/1909  Alf Fennah machinist 829 St Andre
http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/src/1908-1909/11.Alphabetical_directory/F/Fa/110643_1908-1910_1001.pdf

Checked street address listings as well, and he's only there in that time slot...He is not at that address the previous nor the following year.  :-\

They are seriously misstranscribed in 1911 whether in Ontario or Montreal...

I'm guessing Alfred came first 1905 to scout out the prospects of moving...then went back 1907 for the family, and everyone was marked as returned Canadians assumed & duplicated in error

Offline henery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 03 September 11 17:56 BST (UK) »
Valeriec,Polarbear and JJ.

Just writing to thank you for all the effort you have put in to assist me in my quest for information on Donald Fennah. It has been an interesting journey. I have learned a great deal more about his family. The info you have given me is simply amazing.
I am now at the stage where I am wondering whether the Clement Fennah b.1924 is Donald. The age seems correct.
Thank you all once again for your help.
Henery :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Green,Price,Burt,Jenkins,Dines,Hobbs,Rhodes,Herring,Couch,Walter,Hopkins,Coten,Deacon,Spencer