Author Topic: Dowling/McKernan  (Read 6124 times)

Offline derrydruel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dowling/McKernan
« on: Wednesday 10 August 11 15:10 BST (UK) »
Back on the hunt  so thought I'd try again if there's anybody out there can can throw any light on my Grt grandperants, Mary (maria) Dowling (b. co Kildare) 1847-1935 and her husband James McKernan (b. co Cavan)
1840-1911. Acquired copy of marraige cert which tells me they were married 6th may 1875 in city of Dublin at chapel of cathedral , Malboro street. At time of marraige she was living at Lr Dorset street, daughter of James Dowling (decd) who was a builder. J.M. was a bootmaker living at 14 Brunswick street and was the son of Francis McKernan (decd) who was a horse trader and I believe was originally from Swanlinbar area of Cavan. An interesting point regarding James Mc' is that at the time of his marraige to Mary he is down on the cert' as being a widower. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find any further info on their parents or ancestory. Any leads gratefully appreciated.
Thank you in anticipation.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Dowling/McKernan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 15:22 BST (UK) »
Since the births of Mary and James are before the start of civil records in 1864, you will need to know a bit more details about where in counties Kildare and Cavan they lived so you can check if parish records are available - ideally you need to know the townland or parish they lived in.

It looks like Swanlinbar is in the RC parish of Kinnally, which also covers parts of Co. Fermanagh. Baptism and marriage records for this parish for back to 1835 and are on microfilm reference Pos. 5346 in the National Library. I dont think these records are online anywhere at the moment

Some parish records for Co. Kildare are available on the pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation at www.rootsireland.ie

previous thread :

Dowling, Co. Kildare

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 15:30 BST (UK) »
I had another look at the RC parishes listed on RootsIreland and they have one named Kinawley listed - it might be an alternate spelling for Kinnally ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline derrydruel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 15:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane I'll try the route you've suggested and see if I can come up with anything. :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 15:41 BST (UK) »
I'm pretty sure that Kinawley and Kinnally are the same parish - the NLI RC parish index both listed on the same film.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline derrydruel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 12:00 BST (UK) »
After years of searching & dead ends the release of NLI records online have thrown me a possible lifeline. Page 38 Kinawley parish have a James born to a Francisci McKiernan and Catherine Munde?..
I Know James' mother was Catherine from His marraige cert. Would anyone know what the word 'Lodge' refers to in this entry... is it a townland? I realize I may be clutching at straws but can anyone enlighten me or reinforce my findings. From what I gather Munde wouldn't seem to be that common a name &, after hours of searching, this entry is the only one I can find for 1840 that fits.. Once again thank you in anticipation to anyone who can offer any help.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Can you post the link to James on the 1901 Census and I'll see can I help ?!

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 14:11 BST (UK) »
This would appear to be James' first marriage.

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/2876550065789

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 14:13 BST (UK) »