Author Topic: Gleeson Family (completed)  (Read 1205 times)

Online RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gleeson Family (completed)
« on: Wednesday 10 August 11 17:06 BST (UK) »
Am trying to establish if there is a family relationship between the 3 Gleesons below, I believe that they are a father and 2 sons but with one possible son born in Ireland and none together on any census its quite difficult - but hoping rootschatters can do their stuff:

Patrick Gleeson, born 1836 (Thurles, Ireland) joined 47th Regt. Foot 1854 and was eventually discharged from the service in Fermoy Ireland in 1876 as a Staff Sergeant.
Patrick married a Margaret Foote in Chelsea barracks in 1858.

Andrew Fitzwilliam Gleeson, born 1860 Aldershot.  when discharged from the Service (RASC) in 1920 he was a Quartermaster and Hon. Lt.Col and been awarded an OBE.

Patrick John Gleeson born 1862 Ireland was KIA in Naauwpoort SA in 1900 at which time he was a Quartermaster & Hon.Lt. in the RASC.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gleeson Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 17:13 BST (UK) »

Online RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Dazey

Yes I have seen that,and it is one of the reasons that apart from the name I thought that there may be more than a name connection.  I have emailed DNW but have not had a response.

Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 18:13 BST (UK) »
I think you're on the right track with Andrew, Ray.  2 reasons - Margaret Foote's dad was called Andrew, and, more importantly, in the 1901 census Andrew's mother MARGARET was living with him and his family in Acton - she was 62 & born in Ireland

Online RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 19:05 BST (UK) »
I am fairly convinced they are family but it does look a bit extreme because I have:

1. Andrew Fitzwilliam Gleeson marrying Johanna Madden (father Patrick) 1882 Brentford
2. Patrick Gleeson (father Patrick) marrying Elizabeth Madden (Patrick) 1885 Chelsea
3. Maud Gleeson (father Patrick) marrying Michael Madden       ( Patrick) 1895 Brentford

Johanna, Elizabeth & Michael were sisters & brother, and I have just got the feeling that Andrew, Patrick & Maud were brothers & sister.  I have the Patrick/Elizabeth marriage, and the Maud/Michael marriage, but not the Andrew/Johanna yet.

But with the early Patrick Gleeson family moving continuosly its getting difficult.  I know that Maud (Isabelle) is definitely Patricks (1836) daughter and she was born in Ireland and she had a sister Ursula (born at sea!!)

I am hoping that there is something on army records that will pull things together.

Both Andrew & Patrick (1862) had sons who went on to fight in WW1 with Patricks son Augustine being KIA in 1917 in France age 24.

Ray

Online RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 August 11 22:42 BST (UK) »
posted on the Britishmedals forum and got an immediate hit.  Found the guy who bought the lot - the four are connected - being father, son, grandson and great grandson - was also provided with a photo of the medals presented in a lovely case.  It is also gone some way to complete this one side of the family picture.

Ray