Author Topic: Missing marriage, Croydon, 1870s  (Read 2585 times)

Offline Maxima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Missing marriage, Croydon, 1870s
« on: Thursday 11 August 11 15:18 BST (UK) »
I have an Elizabeth Darvill (born 1856) from Croydon - On her marriage certificate to her husband Edward Kelsey in 1880 she is listed as Elizabeth Machin, aged 24, widow.

I have tried searching for the previous marriage to Machin, but nothing has come up in the marriage registers. I can't find any possible match either in Croydon or the surrounding areas under the surnames Darvill or Machin, so am wondering if anyone can offer advice on where I could try looking next.

Thanks in advance, Ann

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Missing marriage, Croydon, 1870s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 August 11 15:48 BST (UK) »
Noticing that the brother in law, George, also gives Croydon as his birthplace, I tried to find them in 1871 but without success, then realised that you must have Elizabeth's father's name and occupation from the marriage certificate.  It might help if we could see the family group and where they were before the  first marriage.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Maxima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 August 11 16:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply, I have her family in Croydon in 1871 -

Parents Henry and Eliza Darvill, along with children Alice, Emma, George, Joseph and Sarah.
There are a couple of older children William Henry and Mary Ann Darvill, who are still in Croydon in the 1871 census.

I did find an entry for an Elizabeth Darnell in 1871 in Croydon, servant, which I thought could be her if the name was mis-written, as birth date of 1856 matches. But that's not definite.

Otherwise I have Elizabeth in Croydon from 1881 onwards through to 1911.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 August 11 16:39 BST (UK) »
In 1881 - are there any children from her first marriage?

Ignore - just found them and there aren't any
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 August 11 16:43 BST (UK) »
freebmd has a death in 1873 in Croydon for a William James Machin aged 20
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Maxima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 August 11 16:55 BST (UK) »
That sounds promising, and the family seem to be in Croydon in the 1871 census. That would have made Elizabeth about 17 when he died. Married young, then early death possibly?

Elizabeth was married three times, and outlived them all, so didn't seem to have much luck.