Author Topic: Baptism Ann Gleeson  (Read 6235 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism Ann Gleeson
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 August 11 08:42 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping the certificate will say which part of Ireland my great grandparents came from as Gleeson is a common name.

Maureen, the marriage certificate will give the name of her father and his occupation. However, it won't say where he comes from, sadly for you.

This search has been complicated by the fact that there are two Willingtons in the north-east - one in Northumberland and one in County Durham  ::) and that there seem to have been two Mary Gleesons, each born in a different Willington at approximately the same time!

As Ladyhawk has said, it now seems unlikely that 'your' Mary was the one shown as born in Wallsend in the 1871 census (reply #2) and baptised at Willington Quay (reply #16), since following her through on subsequent censuses shows she is still unmarried in 1901 and living with her parents.

The Gleeson/Chestney marriage certificate should (hopefully) confirm Mary's father's name .

Jennifer

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 August 11 09:08 BST (UK) »
from your post "She married John Thomas Chestney in Durham in Apr 1894"

don't think it's the above Ann Gleeson on 1871c as she's aged 30 on the 1901 census with her widowed father Thomas sister Mary age 30 and seven other siblings

And, for that reason and others, I included the Willington, Co Durham family in reply #3.
I left reply #2 as is, just in case it was actually the Northumberland family that needed researching! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline awayagain4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 August 11 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer
That's what I'm hoping. Thank you.

Regards
Maureen

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 19:31 BST (UK) »
It's obviously Willington, Co Durham where your ancestor Ann Gleeson was born. Ann was almost certain to have been baptised at the Catholic church of Our Lady Immaculate and St Cuthbert, Crook which served Willington up to the mid 1870's.

If you book an appointment at the Durham County Record Office you can view the Crook church registers on film where Ann's Willington born siblings will more than likely be entered too. You may also find the marriage of Ann's parents John Gleeson and Catherine Mack at Crook, they married in 1959 in the Auckland registration district and Crook is in that district, however Willington is in Durham Central registration district. Failing that, the marriage may have taken place at St Wilfred's, Bishop Auckland depending on where they were living at that time.

Good luck,
J.T.A.

Offline awayagain4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 12:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help.

I have ordered a copy of my grandfather's marriage certificate. That should give me the name of my grandmother's father. Once I have that I can follow the trail of the correct family.

I am really impressed by the generosity of people willing to give up their time to help others with family research. Well done, Roots Chat!

Regards

Maureen

Offline awayagain4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 21 August 11 19:23 BST (UK) »
I now have the record of marriage for Ann Gleeson and John Thomas Chestney. They were married 18th Jun 1894 St Bede's Roman Catholic Church in South Shields.

John Chestney was age 22 and Ann Gleeson was age 25 which would put her birth year at 1869.

Ann's father was John Gleeson, deceased, a coal miner.

The Witnesses were Jane Hanley and Matthew Hanley.

Ann was living at Castleton House, Saint Aiden's Road, South Shields at the time of her marriage.

So now we know Anne's father was John and that he was a coal miner. It looks as if it might be the John Gleeson from Cornsay?

I would welcome comments please.

Thank you for your time

Maureen

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 21 August 11 20:14 BST (UK) »
The GRO death index includes John Gleason, Durham Registration district, 1889, aged 61.

Good luck,
J.T.A.

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 21 August 11 20:28 BST (UK) »
Ann Gleeson daughter of John Gleeson and Catherine Mack had a younger sister Jane Gleeson, also born Willington, Co Durham who married Matthew Hanley in 1891. What more evidence do you need ?

Good luck,
J.T.A.

Offline awayagain4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 22 August 11 07:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much. The Hanley link was what I was looking for.

There was a Mary Gleeson, born in Ireland abt 1840, in the 1871 census. She was a widow residing in Marylebone with three children. Richard Gleeson born in Ireland, John born in Marylebone, and Ann born in Northumberland. Ann was age 2 which made her birth year 1869.

It seems likely that her husband died in Northumberland and his widow and children moved back to Marylebone after his death. I needed to eliminate this Gleeson from the picture.

The Hanley  link is the proof I was looking for.

Now all I have to do is search for their Irish roots! Wish me luck and thanks a million.

Regards

Maureen