Author Topic: Calling all Dickinson and Morris ancestors  (Read 2370 times)

Offline LisaTaylor

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Calling all Dickinson and Morris ancestors
« on: Thursday 11 August 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
We are celebrating our 160th Anniversary this year! Help us search for our founders' ancestors - for more information see www.porkpie.co.uk/160

We have been baking authentic Melton Mowbray Pork Pies since 1851 and are now launching a quest to find the ancestors from the Dickinson and Morris families, founders of our business. In our search for family members, we have teamed up with Ancestry.co.uk, the biggest family tree website, to help make this easier for you to do!...

If you find out that you are one of our relatives or know someone who could be, please let us know. We also look forward to receiving your photos and family letters. Please follow us on Twitter on @160yearsofpies. See our dedicated micro-site too - www.porkpie.co.uk/160

Dickinson & Morris has a fascinating history! Mary Dickinson (1768-1841) is considered the creator of the hand raised Melton Mowbray Pork Pie. In the 1790s the Dickinson family was already well known as Pork Pie makers and Stilton cheese merchants. Mary's grandson John started a pork pie business and in 1851 rented the shop in Nottingham Street, Melton Mowbray. An apprentice, Joseph Morris, was taken on in 1886 and became like a son to John Dickinson. In 1901 the partnership between John Dickinson and Joseph Morris was cemented and the business became Dickinson & Morris. Are you related...?  Thank you in advance for your help!

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all Dickinson and Morris ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 August 11 15:47 BST (UK) »
Welcome Lisa to Rootschat.

What a lovely post and I hope you find all the family living members you are looking for.
Love the pork pies but not related.  Being from Yorkshire we are the pudding people lol.

All the best for the Anniversary and god bless pork pies, I love them laugh.

regards
Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline LisaTaylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 August 11 15:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Sandymc47!

Yum, Yorkshire Puddings are good too though! If you are ever in Melton Mowbray, do pop in for a Melton Mowbray Pork Pie at Ye Olde Pork Pie Shoppe! :)

Thanks again!

Lisa

Offline Fue

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Jane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 August 11 17:44 BST (UK) »
Yes what a lovely post :P..... mmm who doesn't love ye olde pork pies!

The name of Dickinson  caught my eye as there is a Dickinson branch in my husbands tree in neighbouring Northamptonshire. However I do not know how to look at your Dickinson tree .....sorry to be a bit thick but am I missing something?  I'm afraid I don't do twitter or Facebook either (bit of a dinasour  :-\ ,like quite a few others I suspect) so how can I check?

Oooh and welcome also to Rootschat, Lisa :)
Fue

Williams (S. Wales/Worcester)
Eagles (Gloucester/Liverpool),

S. Wales/Devon/Somerset:
Havard, Hortop, Jenkins, Martin, Marshall, Lethbridge, Hearn/Hern

Northampton/Leicestershire
Ainge, Barker,Stevenson, Allan, Dickens

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LisaTaylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 August 11 12:02 BST (UK) »
We are just piecing the story together now as part of the campaign, so if you do have any information on the Dickinson branch, just send them to me at  and we will see what we can find!

Thank you!

Lisa xx

Offline ruthtree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 December 15 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lisa, I have some information, though way past your required date. The email is no longer valid though. Any chance of a fresh one? Ruth

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 December 15 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi ruthtree.

We do ask members not to publish their email addresses as this is how spammers pick up on email addresses. The email address Lisa gave is the same as she registered with on RootsChat which we also are finding is no longer working.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk