Author Topic: Swinton Hall, Swinton near Rotherham  (Read 7679 times)

Offline zorba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Swinton Hall, Swinton near Rotherham
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 November 12 08:44 GMT (UK) »
This recent information is fascinating if rather confusing.

The surname Bower was familiar to me and upon checking my wife's family tree, I find that Frank Ward's sister Ada Ward married a man called Edwin Bower in 1910 - he subsequently died in WWI (around 1917 I believe).

A quick check shows that Edwin Bower was not a brother of Edith Constance Bower but they may have been more distantly related, so I shall have to get back to some basic research on the Bower line.

Thank you to all contributors who have thrown light on this mystery.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 November 12 11:30 GMT (UK) »

It was so good to see an unusual middle name like Aquila . Doesn't it make life easy looking in an index?

When you only get one, like an instance I have of an Osmond b1599 who left a will in 1672, and was the first|Luffman to move from Wiltshire to Dorset. On the other side of the family, I have the uncommon name Hephzibah; believe me it's as bad as John or Mary when you get 20 or so of them
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline arabrab

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 November 12 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have to agree on that one. My OH had a gg grandfather named Abiel Whichello.   And yes they could spell,they didn't mean Abel.   Abiel is in the Old Testament and  he was the grandfather of Saul.
Having spent hours over my mother's family of Thomas Youngs I thought Abiel would be a doddle. I couldn't believe how many I found  --all  in the South east, London, Bicester,Winslow, Watlington, Wallingford, Benson and Brill. The only plus was that they were obviously all connected. and I had a great time sorting them all out.
Bucks- Young,Neale,Wright,Ludgate,Todd,Turney,Crouch,Roberts,Hoare
Oxon Whichello,Roberts,Slatter,Kimber
Kent-Fox,Medhurst,Pearson,Wimble,French,Tilby,Bassage
Herts-Pellant,Martin,Figg,Turney
London, Scotland, Ireland - McWatt
Suffolk-Fox,Sage,Scarfe,Palmer
Berks - Kimber,Dorman

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 17:20 GMT (UK) »
You were more fortunate than me then.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Craig Mollekin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 December 12 22:56 GMT (UK) »
A number of Bower graves can be found on this website: http://mollekin.net/swintonpeople

Offline zorba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 09 December 12 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for this link to what looms like a fascinating resource. I'm guessing from the name that the site is your work or at least that you are connected with it in some close way.

I see that, unusually, the site requires visitors to register simply in order to view the site - rather than to be able to post. But this approach seems reasonable, as expressed in your Terms and Conditions. I've had my own research hi-jacked and posted to public internet sites before now so I'm sympathetic to this need.

However, I don't find a corresponding "Privacy" statement about the use that will be made of these personal details and the usual arrangements for safeguarding personal data. Did I miss it?

I'm sure that there would no intention to mis-use data and I'm not casting aspersions but it's always reassuring to see this stated in black and white in these days of increasing proliferation of personal data around the internet.

Regards,

Offline Craig Mollekin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 December 12 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the site belongs to me.

The site does not require visitors to sign in to view it. Guests can view most data except for exact dates, notes and photos. Guests can also make comments although comments made guests are held for moderation. Guests are also limited as to the size of pedigree trees that they can view.

Maybe I will create a privacy statement or maybe I won't. It's at the bottom of a long 'to do' list either way.

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 16:12 GMT (UK) »
There is an amazing site on Swinton on facebook.  http://www.facebook.com/SwintonPeople?fref=ts  the guy who started the page is amazing and can answer a lot about swinton

Redroger Swinton PR's are at Doncaster Archives not the library

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 11:01 GMT (UK) »
They are indeed Acorn, but I think I was referring to the bound transcripts of the Parish Registers, which the last time I visited Doncaster Library were in the reference section, behind the Librarian's chair!