Author Topic: Swinton Hall, Swinton near Rotherham  (Read 7693 times)

Offline zorba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Swinton Hall, Swinton near Rotherham
« on: Thursday 11 August 11 16:15 BST (UK) »
Researching my wife's ancestors has revealed that one of her relations returned from Australia in 1937 to stay with one of her brothers at Swinton Hall, Swinton near Rotherham. I  understand from my father-in-law that this brother had married into the family who owned the property but I do not know the name of this family. Having found photos of the property, which is now split into apartments that are being sold, it seems that this family must at one time have been what one might call "minor gentry".

Unfortunately the brother's name (Frank Ward b. 1889) is so common in this part of the world that it not possible to locate the marriage from this alone.
I'm therefore seeking any information on the occupants of Swinton Hall around 1910-1940. The usual searches on Google reveal nothing of interest.

Please note that this place should not be confused with the similarly named Swinton Hall near Masham in the North Riding of Yorkshire!

Any information gratefully received , thanks.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Swinton Hall, Swinton near Rotherham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 August 11 16:30 BST (UK) »
My suggestion is that you 1) ask for the 1911 census entry for Swinton Hall to ascertain who lived there then. 2) Search the historic electoral registers for the 1920s and 1930s. One of these searches should at least give you the family name.
Though Swinton is currently in Rotherham Metropolitan Borough, I believe that at that time it was a separate urban district within the West Riding of Yorkshire. There is the possibility that the historic registers could be at Doncaster Reference Library, or possibly West Riding archives at Wakefield.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline zorba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 August 11 16:38 BST (UK) »
My suggestion is that you 1) ask for the 1911 census entry for Swinton Hall to ascertain who lived there then. 2) Search the historic electoral registers for the 1920s and 1930s. One of these searches should at least give you the family name.
Though Swinton is currently in Rotherham Metropolitan Borough, I believe that at that time it was a separate urban district within the West Riding of Yorkshire. There is the possibility that the historic registers could be at Doncaster Reference Library, or possibly West Riding archives at Wakefield.

Thanks for these suggestions. The first did occur to me but with the upheavals caused by the First World War it seemed quite possible that the property might not have remained in the same hands from 1911 until the late 1930's.

The other ideas of researching the local electoral registers is also good, were it not for the fact that I live on the Kent/Surrey borders of the UK, some 200 miles distant!

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 August 11 17:11 BST (UK) »
Why not ask a local to do you a look up? I am sure someone on this site will help.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline jane l

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 August 11 17:21 BST (UK) »
http://www.swintonheritage.org.uk/aboutus.asp this site shows that a book
 History of Swinton Hall and Swinton House Giles Brearley's has been written -unfortunately not available on amazon at the moment but you could try your local library

The book covers the History of Swinton Hall from its first early construction by the Otter family.It Includes many illustrations and over 80 photos , many not having been seen before.
The occupants lives fromthe outset are followed, along with events, generation after generation, with quite a few suprises.
The story follows the growth of the village into the town of today as many of the occupants were so closely entwined with its development.
An excellent book solving what has for a long time been a mystery

jane

Lowcock-Greasbrough
Morris-Derbyshire/Greasbrough/Hatfield
Chipp-Isle of wight/Mexborough/Derbyshire
Wallace+Wylie-Derbyshire
Rhoadhouse+Sellars-Greasbrough
Rickman-Hampshire New Forest+Johnson Hampshire/South Shields
Phillips/Carpenter-Lymington Hampshire
Goodwin+Beaney-Lewisham/Kent
Sayers-London/East Grinstead

Offline keelbec

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 August 11 19:47 BST (UK) »
Frank Ward was headmaster of Swinton Primary School 1946 and was living in Swinton Hall.
Shaw, Hossell, Bennett, Wilson, Mosby, White, Hicks, Bywater, Dyson all in Yorkshire

Offline zorba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 August 11 11:11 BST (UK) »
Frank Ward was headmaster of Swinton Primary School 1946 and was living in Swinton Hall.

I missed this posting last weekend - sorry.

This is (according to my father-in-law) certainly the chap I was looking for - any thoughts on his wife - even the first name would be a help?

Richard

Offline arabrab

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 November 12 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Frank Ward married Edith C Bower in 1920 Rotherham according to GRO records

Edith Constance Bower was living at the Hall Swinton in 1911. Her father was Joseph Aquila Bower retired building contractor aged 60 born Swinton

Came across this when looking for my Johnston connections  I'm hoping one of mine married Edith's sister Gwendoline

best wishes Barbara
Bucks- Young,Neale,Wright,Ludgate,Todd,Turney,Crouch,Roberts,Hoare
Oxon Whichello,Roberts,Slatter,Kimber
Kent-Fox,Medhurst,Pearson,Wimble,French,Tilby,Bassage
Herts-Pellant,Martin,Figg,Turney
London, Scotland, Ireland - McWatt
Suffolk-Fox,Sage,Scarfe,Palmer
Berks - Kimber,Dorman

Offline arabrab

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 November 12 18:47 GMT (UK) »
 Also Joseph Aquila Bower is in the probate calendar index. He died 1935 Of Swinton Hall, Rotherham Yorkshire

Probate was granted to Basil Cedric Bower a solicitor, Edith Constance Ward Wife of Frank Ward, and Gwendoline Irene Johnston wife of John Watson Johnston. He left £22502.

It was so good to see an unusual middle name like Aquila . Doesn't it make life easy looking in an index?
Bucks- Young,Neale,Wright,Ludgate,Todd,Turney,Crouch,Roberts,Hoare
Oxon Whichello,Roberts,Slatter,Kimber
Kent-Fox,Medhurst,Pearson,Wimble,French,Tilby,Bassage
Herts-Pellant,Martin,Figg,Turney
London, Scotland, Ireland - McWatt
Suffolk-Fox,Sage,Scarfe,Palmer
Berks - Kimber,Dorman