Author Topic: Bagshot Church / Cemetery  (Read 4949 times)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Bagshot Church / Cemetery
« on: Thursday 11 August 11 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have been looking at St Anne's Church, Bagshot, on streetview and it doesn't seem to have a graveyard.  So I then tried to find the cemetery using the postcode given but it seems to be a school  :o - could someone confirm that the cemetery is in Chapel Lane, and does anyone know the correct postcode please?

Thank you  ;D
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Bagshot Church / Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 August 11 06:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

This link indicates that it is in Chapel Lane

http://www.bagshotvillage.org.uk/tour/different.shtml

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 August 11 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you checked the information in the Surrey burial guide at the top of the Rootschat Surrey boards for this cemetery?

For further details on Bagshot cemetery (and links including information on memorial inscriptions) check under Surrey Heath Borough Council in the guide - the cemetery itself is now managed by Windlesham parish council (in Surrey Heath)

Bagshot Cemetery, Chapel Lane Bagshot GU19 (1807?)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,404819.0.html

(satellite view on Google maps clearly shows the cemetery - Bagshot Infant school nearby is in School Lane not Chapel Lane)

The burial guide also links to the parish registers held at the Surrey History Centre and their dates. For St Anne's Bagshot the dates given for the burial registers are

1837-1935

This may mean the entries in the registers are burial service entries with burials taking place in the cemetery not the churchyard. Usually, though not always such entries in church burial registers specify the burial has taken place elsewhere if not in the churchyard.

However St Anne's church wasn't built as early as 1837 so perhaps the earlier dates are indicating a chapel of ease separate from the ancient parish of Windlesham whose burial registers cover the longer period. Rosie's link indicates this is the case.

Windlesham burial registers 1695-1881

'St Anne's Church is about 120 years old, built in the hey-day of Victorian church building to a neo-gothic style. Bagshot had separated from Windlesham village to become its own ecclesiastical parish in 1874 and the Church was built ten years later, largely with the patronage of Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught, who lived near-by in Bagshot Park.'

http://www.saintannebagshot.org.uk/history.htm

For a parish council Windlesham is rather unique in that it manages not one cemetery but three, the other two being opened much later. Bagshot cemetery is also unusual in that it was opened so early pre dating the main Surrey civic cemeteries by probably nearly 50 years (its exact date of opening is uncertain) but then originally it was the churchyard for the chapel of ease and not in the strict sense a cemetery which is became when St Anne's church was opened and the chapel of ease was demolished.

Regards

Valda

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 August 11 13:27 BST (UK) »
:) Thank you both for replying.  Yes, I had read the information linked to on these boards and that was where I started getting confused. ::)  I thought I would use the postcode to programme my satnav but it 'took' me to the school.  I couldn't actually find an entrance to the Cemetery itself.  Hopefully when I actually go there it will become obvious, now at least I know I am looking at the correct place for a burial associated with St Anne's in 1908.  ;D
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 August 11 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

You can walk Chapel Lane on Google maps

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Just type in Chapel Lane GU19

If you click on satellite (top righ hand corner option) as you zoom down you can home in on the cemetery - not many tombstones showing with a blank rectangle which might have been where the original chapel once stood. The newer smaller chapel is furtherest away from Chapel Lane and that looks to be where most gravestones are.

If you then click on the small yellow figure just above the + sign you've used to zoom down (on the left) you can drag the figure to the lane and begin to walk it (photographed by a special camera car). There appear to be what look like ordinary farm type gates just before it gets dark under the trees.

There also looks to be a narrow road way entrance (which the Google camera car hasn't gone down) from School Lane which is may be why your sat nav took you there. That may be the easiest entrance.

On the link provided in the Surrey burial guide (which I've now amended to make the information on Bagshot cemetery I hope clearer) it does say

'......many of the headstones are barely discernible having suffered the ravages of time.'

Regards

Valda

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 August 11 21:43 BST (UK) »
;D

Thank you for your help.  I went to Bagshot today having had a look at the Burial Register for St Anne's at the Surrey History Centre, and then checking their CD to see where to look for the grave.  I was impressed with how well the cemetery was kept and had no problem finding the grave, or reading the inscription (1908 and added to in 1959).  There are actually two entrances - one in Chapel Lane and the other in School Lane which is where my SATNAV took me.

A very successful trip.  8)
Research interests: