Author Topic: BRUNTON  (Read 6704 times)

Offline vonjon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BRUNTON
« on: Tuesday 03 May 05 13:46 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on James BRUNTON,born circ 1808 Colinton ,son of James BRUNTON and Susan ELDER.
I can find a John BRUNTON born 1806, Capelaw to James and Susan, but cannot find birth for James.
Can anyone help with this?

Thanks, vonjon

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: BRUNTON
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Vonjon..did you read my posting on this site on April 5...it is interesting that your William and my James both appear in Colinton and about same time frame of birth that they coud be brothers.This must be worth looking at more closely...hmmmm.
Let me know what you think .I have been chasing this Brunton/Notman for years and am no further ahead.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 July 05 14:56 BST (UK) »
NOTE: my above post should have read...YOUR JAMES AND MY WILLIAM...sorry about that!!
Could you look in your paper work and see if there was a William born to this couple,please?  Thanks.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline vonjon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 July 05 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
As I stated in my original, unfortunately, I can only  find a John BRUNTON born 1806, Capelaw to James and Susan. Oh how I wish I could find more info on this family.
Regards,
Yvonne

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 July 05 15:54 BST (UK) »
Yep...know how you feel.I have been after this for 1/4 of a century.
Have you gone into the GRO and searched there??
It is almost as if these two dropped from the sky and landed in Scotland ..he he he
We almost need to take all these BRUNTON's and put them into family groups and study them.
Then go back and read more films.
I live in Calgary Alberta Canada...where are you?
I went into my old file on BRUNTON and found this: a ROBERT BRUNTON born in the same time frame as our William and James.Robert marr a Ann Tough and 5 of their children were born in the Musselburgh and Cowsland area of Scot.
From what I can find,Cowsland is a Village in the Parish of Cranston...now to find this place.
Keep in touch!

Offline richards

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 March 06 04:15 GMT (UK) »
[Saw your message on this site & am interested in the Robert Brunton married  Ann Tough & 5 children you mentioned you have on file. They went to Australia with 3 of the children then to NZ. Descended from John the youngest of those 3 children.  Am trying to find out more of their ancestors in Musselburg Scotland. Love to hear from you.
Noeleen.

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 March 06 16:37 BST (UK) »
Just trawled through this thread and noted the name Brunton

The Brunton family established a wire drawing mill in Musselburgh and used to make all sorts of wire ropes and hawsers. The mill was still in operation in the early 1960's but has since closed down.
If the link is established it might not make you famous but it would make a change from ag. labs wouldn't it?

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline richards

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 April 06 05:00 BST (UK) »
To ajjbc,

Hope you are checking through here, noticed your interest in Brunton/Notman.  Came across this the other day (while searching for my lot) maybe of use to you then of course you may already have all of it.

William Brunton born c1798 died pre 1851, married Janet Notman 1821 in Peebles, she died 1855.

They had 2 children in Peebles then moved to Colinton. Then to St Cuthberts where children 4,5,6, & 7 were born bteween 1825 & 1832.  Don't know what happened to child 3!!!

Noeleen.

Offline mswanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 May 10 05:05 BST (UK) »
I am also interested in any information on Robert Brunton and Anne Tough.   My particular interest is their son John who lived in New Zealand, but I have very little info on the Scottish side.
Appreciate any help at all
Regards
Myrna