Author Topic: Thomas Hawkins (from Heage) c1815 -Birth Records sught please  (Read 1255 times)

Offline KeithTruman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Hawkins (from Heage) c1815 -Birth Records sught please
« on: Friday 12 August 11 15:17 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the records of the birth of a Thomas Hawkins, born c1815/1816. In the 1851 and the 1861 Census, he lists his place of birth as Hage, Derbyshire and Hague, Derbyshire respectively. I can only guess that this was in fact Heage, Derbyshire. As I understand it the Heage records may be amalgamated with the nearby parish of Belper? I know that Thomas married a Sally Fitton in 1832 in Mottram in Longendale in Cheshire in 1836.

Can anyone help please?

Keith

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Hawkins (from Heage) c1815 -Birth Records sught please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 August 11 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Keith,

How the birth place is written in the 1851 Census Hage, does appear to have been written how
in the local accent it would sound if we were saying Heage (we would not pronounce the E).  There are certainly a number of Hawkins in Heage.  The problem is that the Church of England Records for Heage on the IGI to not commence until 1819 the batch number is C054531.

The only records I know of that appear to combine are Belper and Heage Independent these commence
in 1793 batch number is C066521.

The entry in 1861 which states Hague, there is a villiage called Hague Bar near New Mills.

The following is a connection to transcribed  Heage registers, but all too late for your Thomas
http://www.spendlove.co.uk/ancestral/archives.html

Suggest you contact Derbyshire Record Office at Matlock, to see what Registers they hold for Heage.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.