Author Topic: * COMPLETED*.Alexander KENNEDY-Australia  (Read 7107 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander KENNEDY-Australia
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 13 August 11 18:37 BST (UK) »

Hi JM,

Thanks for the Electrol Roll info. any information is appreciated.

That's interesting. I wonder if the William is Alexander's father. He was born 1810. It is possible he went out to Australia.

Why do they call it the Police district and what do they mean by property qualifications.Probably a silly question.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 14 August 11 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

In general terms, and very briefly

Police District

In that era, the electoral rolls were compiled by the Police Magistrates (or their deputies).  The police districts were set up long before electoral boundaries existed, so it is possible in the more remote parts of NSW that parts of a police district could fall within parts of more than one electorate.

Property qualifications.

Originally there was no universal franchise.  To be eligible to enrol to vote in NSW prior to Federation, you needed to be male AND .... in different decades there were tough criteria based on the £ value of your real estate or on the municipal annual rateable value  that applied to your rented home etc.   The NSW parliament had many debates as to who should be entitled to vote to elect its members.  Eventually that value was adjusted DOWN and then finally dismissed altogether as the march towards democracy progressed throughout those decades.  There was also a residency requirement, ie a minimum length of time at the one address before you could enrol in respect of that.  Females were eligible to enrol for the 1902/3 electoral roll.   There is still a residency requirement ... eg there is a minimum time that you must have lived at a particular address for you to enrol in that electorate, and you need to be 18 years of age and over, and an Australian citizen (umm.... or your could still be a British Subject who was a permanent resident in Aust as at Jan 1986, and enrolled at that time, and aged at least 18 at that time, ie born before 1968). 

That is a very brief summary,  I am sure to have overlooked something critical, (plural voting, etc) perhaps other RChatters would be able to explain further.

EDIT TO ADD http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/archives-in-brief/archives-in-brief-5

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 14 August 11 08:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to briefly answer my query. I now understand.

Have been thinking about the William Kennedy, perhaps being Alexander's father. William's wife was Margaret Kennedy (nee Riddell). 

He is on the NSW 1870 Electrol Roll and may have emigrated soon after Alexander & Elizabeth, in 1865. :-\

cupacke

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 17:17 BST (UK) »

I am trying to find out where George Riddell Kennedy is buried and. whether he has a headstone.

George was born in Bega, NSW - 9 March 1880  He died 30 January 1955 in Ryde, NSW. 

Would also like to know if he married. Have managed to find his 3 brothers, who all married and died in NZ.

Regards,

cupcake