Author Topic: George Henry Wheeler  (Read 3749 times)

Offline Jamieson24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Henry Wheeler
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 August 22 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hello all enquiries about George Henry Wheeler. I have only recently joined this forum having recently accessed the 1921 census. I have noticed that a few people have posted comments about George and their connection with him. George Henry Wheeler was my grandfather,yes that's correct my grandfather. George was born on the Isle of Wight in 1854 and as began a relationship with my grandmother Betty Taylor (born 1880). My mother Betty Wheeler was born in 1918 in Cardiff when George Henry Wheeler was 63. The couple subsequently went on to have a further three children, George Henry Cyril, Enid Clara and Robert James Wheeler who died in infancy in France. It looks that George Henry Wheeler was still fathering children when he was about 68. He then died aged 73 and understand he is buried in St John's cemetery on the Isle of Wight.
I notice that one of the previous postings on this site (Rowanali) indicates the George Henry Wheeler was their great grandfather and as this appears to be the case we must be related. As his son George Henry Cyril Wheeler died without children, I suspect your Grandmother must be Enid Clare Wheeler.(married name Tounge.). If this is not the case, it would appear that George Henry Wheeler was married and had children before he met my grandmother. George Henry Wheeler is a bit of a mystery to our family as he died not long after Robert James Wheeler was born. Any information about George's life would be appreciated, warts and all.

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 August 22 07:09 BST (UK) »
Just a little pocket print

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 August 22 07:57 BST (UK) »
Just a very quick post, have to go out. George Henry Wheeler first married Emily Hooper in Medway 1874. By 1878 had 2 children as per his naval record online. If you wish further info please get back and will post if other's do not respond.

John

Offline John-76

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 August 22 14:39 BST (UK) »
My version.
Blake, Willis, Parker and Whittington

Offline Jamieson24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 September 22 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi John-76. Many many thanks for your information regarding George Henry Wheeler. It is very much appreciated. Unfortunately I had no other responses other than your own. I am not entirely sure that this is the George Henry Wheeler I am looking for as the information you sent me indicates he was in the Navy but the 1921 census indicates he was an Army pensioner at the time of the census. He was born in Newport on the of Wight in August 1854 and was living in Newport Wales in 1921. Any other help in determine his history would be much appreciated.

Regards,. John. (Jamieson24)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 September 22 14:00 BST (UK) »
Jamieson24, firstly my apologies for saying he was a navy man, he was not. I misread the transcription on FindMyPast. However the other info is correct.

1. He enlisted at the age of 14 on the 30th September 1867, Royal Eng Corp. His record details born Newport I.O.W.

2. In 1871 he is residing in the School of Military Engineering.

3. He marries Emily Hooper in Medway in 1874

Name:   George Henry Wheeler
Marriage Date:   28 Jul 1874
Marriage Place:   Gillingham, Kent, England
Father:   James Wheeler as per 1861 census
Spouse:   Emily Hooper

4. 1881 census living in Chatham, Medway with his wife and 2 children Clara Charlotte & Frederick George Hooper Wheeler

5. Found easily in Wales on 1891/1901/1911 census with Emily.

6. Emily dies aged 66 in Cardiff in 1917.

7. No evidence of a marriage to Betty Taylor, but children are born to them.

John

added.

When daughter Clara Charlotte Wheeler was baptised 17th Oct 1876 her father George Henry Wheeler was a corporal royal engineers abode HMS Hood.

His son Frederick George Hooper Wheeler married Ada Culbertson 17.6.1902 at St Mary the Virgin, Cardiff, father recorded as George Henry Wheeler- occ-Clerk

Was Betty Taylor previously married?? Do you know her death date please.

Offline Jamieson24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 September 22 10:16 BST (UK) »
John, I can't thank you enough for all your help in finding out about George Henry Wheeler. I don't want to bore you with my family history but this chap has always been a bit of a mystery. It was only by accessing the 1921 census that I got a flavour and an interest in circumstances surrounding my mother. As you can determine from the dates he engaged in a relationship with my grandmother when he was in his sixties. My grandmother was 26 years his junior and younger than his children with Emily Hooper. My mother was born the year after Emily Hooper died. George then fathered children up to the age of 68/69 them disappeared. Quite some guy!! Is the picture supplied of him as he appears to be wearing a navy uniform?

Once again thanks for all your efforts.

Kind regards.
John.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 06 September 22 10:55 BST (UK) »
George Henry Wheeler died in 1st quarter of 1924 in Wales.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 06 September 22 12:57 BST (UK) »
Jamieson24, with regard to my last post, Do you know when Betty your grandmother died. I believe it was in 1933 and she was really Elizabeth. Any idea about her birthdate.

Deaths Mar 1933   
Wheeler    Elizabeth    aged 54    Newport M.    11a   34.

Also I agree with Neale1961 about the death of George in 1924.

John