Author Topic: Elizabeth CRICKMER - Bury St Edmunds  (Read 7572 times)

Offline Sunny Kayte

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth CRICKMER - Bury St Edmunds
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 June 13 04:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Piu,
I see Sue has listed the birth date for Charles Crickmer Druce. 
I haven't seen that claim of George Hollamby's re Charles's legitimacy but I think it's baseless and there were five children born to Elizabeth and Thomas after their marriage.
Elizabeth had brothers Charles and William and her father was William so I think there was a continuation of family names.
Are you descended from Charles Crickmer? Over the years I've had contact with several of his descendants
Druce, Clout, Court, Brownjohn, Clark, Savory, Shorter, Church, Shepherd

Offline historyfreak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 01 July 13 06:31 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am researching the Druce case for a book, and have been in touch with some of the Crickmer descendants in Australia.
The case that Charles was illegitimate was the basis of GH Druce's claim to the Dukedom, although he had problems proving it and therefore entered into a written agreement with Charles Edgar (Charles Crickmer's son) that they would split the proceeds of any claim.  I agree, the contention could well have been baseless.
I am continuing research in Nottingham University archives and in Bury St Edmunds, and will keep you posted if anything more concrete turns up. 
Kind regards,
Piu

Offline historyfreak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 03 April 14 22:55 BST (UK) »
I've finally found answers to all these questions and more and they're in my book on the Druce-Portland case, due out in September 2014 - 'The Dead Duke, his Secret Wife, and the Missing Corpse.'   Published by Head of Zeus.