Author Topic: "Chrisom child"?  (Read 10701 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Chrisom child"?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 August 11 08:33 BST (UK) »
The Thanksgiving of Women after Childbirth, commonly called The Churching of Women
This site gives a comprehensive explanation of 'Churching' http://users.ox.ac.uk/~mikef/church.html#intro

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 August 11 08:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Hallhawk.
It is true what you say about a possible carry-over of a Jewish practice. Most people would be unaware of how many customs and practices have been carried over.

In Jewish Law the 'uncleaness' came from the bleeding, not from the birth. The period of uncleaness after the birth of a baby boy, 40 days, was half the period of for a girl, 80 days. After 40 days(or 80days) the time of purification was completed, and the woman went to the priest with a sacrificial offering after which she was ceremonially clean from her flow of blood.
Churching of Women in the Christian Church was a service of thanksgiving and nothing to do with 'uncleaness'
See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,214719.msg1114899.html#msg1114899
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 August 11 10:52 BST (UK) »
Going back to the question of the "chrisom child", I am sure the meaning described by Stan is technically correct, but I'm not sure the term was always used strictly correctly in parish registers.

I'm thinking of one register in particular, where quite a few burials are recorded as of a chrisom child, but there are definitely no corresponding baptisms. I've taken the term to mean in those cases just a very young infant, or even an unbaptised infant.

Anne
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline halhawk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 August 11 18:00 BST (UK) »
As an added point of interest to Marmaduke's reply above - The Bills of Mortality for London in 1665 (the Great Plague year) record the deaths of  'Chrisomes' and 'Infants' separately on the weekly Bills, although the one giving the totals for the year lumps them together as 'Chrisomes and Infants'.
Whether this means there was a distinction between the two terms, or they were returned differently by different parishes I don't know.  I'm only familiar with the Bills from 1665.
BARNES - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean)
FORD - Gloucestershire
FROWEN - Gloucestershire; Canada (Ontario)
HAWKINS - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean), Canada, Australia, South Africa
HAYNES - Gloucestershire
KNIGHT - Deerhurst, Gloucestershire
MAYO - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean)
PAYNE - Frome, Somerset; Stroud, Gloucestershire
PRIDAY - Gloucestershire, Australia
SHIPWAY - Stroud, Gloucestershire

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 08:31 BST (UK) »
It never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge is lost over the centuries, as customs and habits change.
I was talking to someone not that long ago who told me that blacksmithing was a dying art (trade?), because of mass production and new techniques.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.