Author Topic: Genealogical Symbol: backward S  (Read 27956 times)

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogical Symbol: backward S
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 19:21 BST (UK) »
Guy,

Broken lineage. Certainly worth considering.  Unfortunately I dont have enough information to know for certain if that is the case.  When I have sight of the tree I may be better placed to research further. 

Nainmaddie,

Thank you for reading the replies.

I think I saw an example of the squiggly line you refer to on the internet.  The one I saw was horizontal and I wondered if that is what the Chartist had drawn but in the vertical position.

Liz

Perthshire: MacArthur, Whittet, Mill (Milne), Alexander, Shaw, Pearson, Henderson, Rennie, Comrie, Braid, Ritchie, Roy, MacKillop, Keill, Cumming, Taylor, Marshall, Young, Miller, MacVicar, Murray, Cameron, Croll, Christie, Gloag, Gorrie, Stobbie, Lunnan, Thomson, Crerar, Hepburn.
Dundee: Mill (Milne).
Aberdeen: Mill (Milne).
Skye: MacIntosh, Stewart, MacQueen, Matheson, Morrison, Nicholson, MacLeod, Finlayson.
Peebles: Dickson, Sandilands, Rule, Johnstone.
Edinburgh: Thomson, Sandilands.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 00:27 BST (UK) »
I would be interesting to see what other symbols are used on the chart. Do you know when the chart was made?

I'm sure Guy must be correct:

Back in the mists of time (1950s) we used a reversed S to indicate a broken lineage.
I.E. The person was descended from another shown person but not directly the intervening generations being missing.

We also used a ≠ (an equals sign with a line through it) to show a couple in a relationship were not married and their offspring (issue) connected with a broken line - - - .
Cheers
Guy

I'd like to know if the use of the symbol makes sense in this context? I suppose it may be that the person was incorrect in some of their findings as well, so used symbols 'incorrectly'.

This has a similar meaning to the electrical symbol suggested at the beginning of the thread. When I write up notes I use the '=' sign to denote a marriage.

If anyone can point me in the right direction (website perhaps?) I would be very interested to learn other 'genealogical' symbols. I know that surnames should be written in all upper case. Are there any other written or unwritten 'rules'?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 05:42 BST (UK) »
Clunky JM here as JMs ISP is OOO

The chartist IF using the reverse S  ie the S as in sinister S deliberately with the illeg meaning BUT he then  failed to use Dash lines  Sory that simply does NOT give me confidence that he is using a Reverse S ... In fact I think it supports the break line ... ....  Pehaps another reason for my thoughts that this  is NOT a reverse S

Cheers JM  PS I think 2003 was mentioned re date of chart
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 07:24 BST (UK) »
STill clunky

BUT still deep in thought

The house pet has a name ...  Felix. 

Felix drinks milk.  Cats drink milk.

Is Felix a cat?

Answer ... on the available information, it is not known If Felix is a cat. What is known is that Felix is a house pet.

THUS
Is the symbol indicaing anything significant re family history ?  On the available information ... No... not yet!

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

RedMystic very kindly sent me copies of the chart by e-mail.  She sent two slides of the whole chart and also other slides of the same chart but broken down into bigger sections for ease of reading. 

I e-mailed RedMystic asking if she would post the above two slides on this thread (I haven't been able to download before so thought it quicker to ask her).  But In my haste to show you the chart, I'll attempt to download.

Here goes.  The writing is small but you can make out lines, symbols etc and a key.

Also you will see the name of the Chartist: Alexander MacIntosh, Edinburgh, 2003.  Googled AM, thought I had found him, e-mailed and received a reply - wrong guy.  Should we seek him out?

Liz
Perthshire: MacArthur, Whittet, Mill (Milne), Alexander, Shaw, Pearson, Henderson, Rennie, Comrie, Braid, Ritchie, Roy, MacKillop, Keill, Cumming, Taylor, Marshall, Young, Miller, MacVicar, Murray, Cameron, Croll, Christie, Gloag, Gorrie, Stobbie, Lunnan, Thomson, Crerar, Hepburn.
Skye: MacIntosh, Stewart, MacQueen, Matheson, Morrison, Nicholson, MacLeod, Finlayson.

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 09:59 BST (UK) »
Wow, I actually managed to do it.  I'm impressed.

Offline RedMystic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Helen Cheyne (1863-1952)
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 14:04 BST (UK) »
Wow, I actually managed to do it. I'm impressed.

Congrats Elseevet! (I'd put in an applauding emoticon here if we had one as I know the joys of being a techno-peasant that overcomes a technology hurdle. )

Now give it a go with the right side of the page (the 2nd one on the same e-mail as this one came from) as that's the one with the backward S. You go girl!! ;D ;D ;D
MACDONALD of Benbecula, Scotland, Earlswood/Wapella Sask
BAIN of Aberdeenshire, Trafford district, Red Jacket and Moosomin, Sask
CHEYNE of Aberdeenshire & Trafford district, Sask
FISHER of Yorkshire, Ontario & Saskatchewan
INKSTER of Shetland, Edinburgh, Sask and BC
GAUNT of Yorkshire, Kent, BC & Australia
KINCH of Ireland, PEI, Ab, Sask
CORCORAN of Ireland, PEI & Sask
GOTZ / GOETZ of Soufflenheim, Alsace & Ont
MITTELHAUSSER of Soufflenheim, Alsace
MULLER or MILLER of Drusenheim, Alsace & Ont

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 15:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the encouragement RedMystic.

The second half of the chart.

If you open the blue link with paper clip below the attached chart in this reply you may be able to download both halves onto your computer (at least I can on mine).

Fingers crossed.

Liz

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 23:13 BST (UK) »
Well it doesn't look like the mystery symbol and lines are to fill in white spaceas there is plenty of that on the page ....   ;) ...