Author Topic: Laurencekirk - Donald and Moir families  (Read 4793 times)

Offline Anna Moir

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Laurencekirk - Donald and Moir families
« on: Sunday 14 August 11 08:48 BST (UK) »
I'm interested in making contact with anyone descended from John MOIR and Elizabeth CADENHEAD. He was born in Logie Pert and she in Fettercairn, and they began producing children in Laurencekirk from 1828. I believe John was at one time a crofter, possibly in North Bent?

Their daughter Jane MOIR married James DONALD in Laurencekirk in 1862 and had a family of 9 children. Jane died in Laurencekirk in 1914.

The older generation of Moirs may have been Episcopalians.
Brans, Winwick, Lauder, Moir, Doig, Holbrook

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Laurencekirk - Donald and Moir families
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 11 19:16 BST (UK) »
I don't suppose they were any relation to the MOIRS who were salmon-fishers at St. Cyrus?

Harry

Offline Anna Moir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 September 11 01:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Harry, yes I believe there is a connection with the St Cyrus Moirs, though I haven't proved it definitively yet. Certainly my own forebear, James Moir (born Logie Pert 1790) married Elizabeth STOOL there in 1826 and produced Isabella (1826) and George (1826) before settling in Dun. Although James Moir was a shoemaker he apparently went fishing in St Cyrus for a few years, presumably during the period when he married. Are you connected to the St Cyrus Moirs? I have done some research on them to try and prove a connection to my branch.
Brans, Winwick, Lauder, Moir, Doig, Holbrook

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 September 11 09:26 BST (UK) »
No, I'm not connected to the Moirs, but I know that a young salmon fisher from St. Cyrus called Christopher Moir (s/o John Moir and Jane Smith) married a woman called Agnes Lindsay from my home town of Cellardyke in Fife in 1861. It was a short-lived marriage as Christopher died in 1864.

I've been researching Cellardyke families (mostly fishing families) for about 30 years and have written a book about the village and the parish of Kilrenny of which it forms a part. Nowadays Cellardyke is basically the east end of Anstruther, home to the Scottish Fisheries Museum, which is full of photos and artifacts gifted by Cellardyke fishing families.

The interesting thing about Agnes Lindsay is her father James Lindsay, who describes himself in the censuses as "Experimental Assistant to a Natural Philosopher". He was in fact the technician who helped Sir John Leslie, professor of natural philosophy (i.e. physics) at Edinburgh University with his experiments. During the long university vacations, James Lindsay went to the herring fishing out of Cellardyke!

James Lindsay is mentioned by Robert Louis Stevenson in his memoir "College Memories" as "old Lindsay", and James's son Thomas Lindsay - who succeeded him in the job - is mentioned by J.M. Barrie of 'Peter Pan' fame. Both Stevenson and Barrie were students at Edinburgh University.

Between them, James and Thomas Lindsay clocked up 116 years of service to the University of Edinburgh.

I mentioned that I wrote a book about Cellardyke. I open my chapter on the twentieth century by quoting from a letter written by a Lance-Corporal Moir to his mother in Cellardyke describing the horrors of the Boer War in South Africa. She had taken the letter along to the local newspaper office for publication.

Harry