Author Topic: Alexander and Vera BARRON, lived in Rarotonga  (Read 11952 times)

Offline SonofSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Alexander and Vera BARRON, lived in Rarotonga
« on: Sunday 14 August 11 22:10 BST (UK) »
I am trying to develop information about Alexander Thomas Donald Barron and his wife Vera Margaret (née Cleland) who lived in Rarotonga for a portion of their lives.  While I have the basic information about both, I have not been able to find anything concerning their life in the Cook Islands.

Here's what I know:

Alexander was born on 14 Jan 1888 in Mosgiel.  He married Vera on 15 July 1926 (site unknown; his second marriage) and died on 21 May 1932 in Rarotonga.  At the time of his death, his occupation was given as 'manager'.

Vera was born on 22 Jan 1891 in Dunedin.  After Alexander's death, she apparently lived on in Rarotonga because this was noted in her father's obituary when he died in 1945.  By 1949, however, Vera was in Wellington, living at the Hotel St. George (electoral rolls).  She died on 2 Apr 1950.

There must be something, somewhere that would shed light on their time in Rarotonga.  For example, was Alexander living there before his marriage to Vera?  And what kept Vera in Rarotonga after her husband's death?  Perhaps they were in some business together.  I just don’t know.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander and Vera BARRON, lived in Rarotonga
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 August 11 22:25 BST (UK) »
This may help http://www.rootschat.com/links/0emt/

EDIT: there are plenty more mentions of him and children on PapersPast.
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline SonofSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 August 11 00:12 BST (UK) »
TwiggyTree, thanks for the link.  The Alexander Barron who is mentioned is clearly the one I'm interested in.  However, I have looked at a few of the other references in PapersPast and it seems that many of them refer to another Alexander Barron - his father perhaps?  I'll have to go through these carefully.  As far as I know, my Alexander and his wife Vera did not have any children.  There may have been children by his first marriage but I haven't found any so far.

I'm wondering if there's an organization in Rarotonga that might be of some help, perhaps a public library, a historical society, a museum, etc.  Any ideas?

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 August 11 00:25 BST (UK) »
Is does appear that Alexander (yours) may have been the name-sake of the elder, also detailed on PapersPast.

From BDMHR
1888/4293   Barron   Alexander Thomas Donald      Helen   Alexander

along with
1889/662     Barron   John Anderson                           Helen   Alexander   
1886/11868   Barron   Robert Henry                           Helen   Alexander

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 August 11 00:27 BST (UK) »
Marriage from BDMHR
1909/6097   Susan Finnimore   Macmillan       Alexander Thomas Donald   Barron

EDIT: No children noted as born in NZ up until 15/8/1911

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 August 11 00:33 BST (UK) »
What about:

Cook Islands Consulate-General
Cook Islands House 127 Symonds Street, Newton 1010
09-366 1100 ‎

Perhaps there is a list of foreigners abroad, or births abroad?

Offline SonofSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 August 11 01:31 BST (UK) »
Alexander's first wife, Susan, died on 29 Sep 1924 so there was plenty of time for them to have children.  However, I have not found any.  Alexander died intestate and probate makes no mention of any children by either marriage.

My main focus, however, is Alexander and Vera so I shall try contacting the Cook Islands Consulate-General.  Since I'm in the US I'll also look on-line for someone to contact in Rarotonga.  It might prove faster.

Added in MODIFY:  Seems that the Cook Islands have an "Honourary Consulate" in the US (in Hawaii).  Doubt that they can help me but they might be able to point me in the right direction.

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 August 11 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hello...

If your research is a long term thing you can always go to your local LDS FHC and start ordering microfilms

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0emy/

Regards
Beg

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 August 11 02:30 BST (UK) »
[The Cook Islands were annexed to New Zealand from 1901, until becoming self-governing in 1965.    The National Library of New Zealand might be the repository of some records - you'd need to check their catalogue. ]

You may find some help at this link though ?

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cokwgw/library.htm

~   Lu