Author Topic: Alexander and Vera BARRON, lived in Rarotonga  (Read 11953 times)

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander and Vera BARRON, lived in Rarotonga
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 August 11 07:45 BST (UK) »
Quote from: SonofSussex

Alexander's first wife, Susan, died on 29 Sep 1924 so there was plenty of time for them to have children.  However, I have not found any. 

Hello...

I think they had at least two children.

Just browsing through the Ancestry electoral roll indexes and an Alexander Thomas Donald BARRON and a Susan Finnimore BARRON both appear in the Dunedin West (NZ) electorate in 1911 and then the Melbourne Ports (Australia) electorate in 1914. They must have then returned to NZ as he appears in the Egmont (NZ) electorate in 1919. There is also a Susan BARRON in the same electorate so, without looking at the actual roll, I'm guessing it's her.

The NZ WW1 Reserves Index (compiled between August and October 1917) lists an Alexander T D BARRON of Eltham, Second Reserves, occupation Salesman, classification C.

I'm guessing this is your Alexander as the initials are the same and I'm fairly sure Eltham is in the above mentioned Egmont electorate. Classification C means two children.

Will check the NZ BDM Birth fiches to see if there's are any BARRON births recorded in Eltham in the 1914-1917 period. Won't be till later in the week, unless someone else can do it sooner. Might be a lead to 2011. Might not :-)

Regards
Beg

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 August 11 07:59 BST (UK) »
he appears in the Egmont (NZ) electorate in 1919. There is also a Susan BARRON in the same electorate so, without looking at the actual roll, I'm guessing it's her.

Regards
Beg

Living in Eltham, occupation Branch Manager.    No middle name for Susan recorded.

1911 E/R has them living at 257 George Street and Alexander's occupation is a Draper.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 August 11 08:00 BST (UK) »
Well done, Beg!  What a break through.

Cant find any children listed as born in VIC, AU as BARRON between 1911 and 1919.
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 August 11 08:20 BST (UK) »
Perhaps Vera's probate in the Wellington office of Archives New Zealand will be able to confirm whether she and Alexander had children?
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0emz/

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 August 11 08:30 BST (UK) »
Quote from: TwiggyTree

Cant find any children listed as born in VIC, AU as BARRON between 1911 and 1919.

Hello TwiggyTree,

Just wondering...how are you able to search for births in Victoria post-1910

Regards
Beg

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 August 11 08:52 BST (UK) »
Beg,

I just go here: http://www.rootschat.com/links/0en0/

But now that you mention it, that page has nothing about the search date ranges, it just lets you type in whatever you like.

I'll have to try and find out more.

Ah you are right.  It's only up until 1910.

That is on this page: http://www.rootschat.com/links/0aq1/

Sorry about that folks, looks like I was misled to believe that if it didn't stop you looking that it must have been okay (contrary to our NZ records where if you get anything wrong in your search date it throws a wobbly and lets you know in no uncertain terms.)

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 August 11 09:48 BST (UK) »
Quote from: TwiggyTree
I just go here: http://www.rootschat.com/links/0en0/

Hello TwiggyTree...

Thanks....I know Tasmania and SA have Births CD's that go up to 1920 and 1928 respectively. I thought you might have access to something similar for Victoria.

Quote from: kiwihalfpint
Living in Eltham, occupation Branch Manager.    No middle name for Susan recorded.

Hello KHP...

Thanks for that. I'm assuming they're at the same address in Eltham in 1919. Or does it just say something like "Eltham, Married" for Susan.

Regards
Beg

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 August 11 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Beg,

Just says, Barron, Susan, Eltham, married.  No street mentioned for both of them, just Eltham

Cheers
KHP

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 August 11 10:10 BST (UK) »
Out of the five Barron's for that year they are the only two listed for Eltham.

Cheers
KHP