Author Topic: Can anyone read this????  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone read this????
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 May 05 11:20 BST (UK) »
 :D No was looking for their deaths, John/James died prior to 1865, and hopefully a marriage.

Re info on birth cert. I havent got much more info on mine from the 60's its just legible.  Can get them much quicker from gro but its the original copied. ;)
Callaghan (Ireland,liverpool and st Helens 1840 to 1881.)  Scotland (liverpool pre 1860) Kiernan, Ritchie (Ireland, salford), Clarke ,Barton (salford greengates and Harpurhey/blackley up to 1930) griffiths, Robson, (Barton on Irwell, Irlam and West Midlands)

Offline Ceci

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 May 05 11:52 BST (UK) »
Short birth certificates are of little value for family historians. I have one in front of me for my Grandmother born in 1893 which gives

Name
Surname
Sex
Date of birth
Registration District
Registration Sub District
Date registered
Number

The full certificate has the details as on the scanned image above, but the parents place of birth and mother's occupation was presumably only included on the more recent ones. I'm pretty sure those details appear on our children's full birth certificates (1979 & 1981), but they have those themselves so I can't check right now.

Hope this helps,
Ceci
London - MOON DARVELL CRAGGS COLE DUTFIELD SAMSON WALLIS THOMPSON MURRAY TREGANOWAN BENDEL POTTERTON
North Yorkshire - DOBSON ALLANSON COOPER CLARK WARDLE STEEL FRANK
Dorset - KING (Blandford, Dorchester) KING PERCY (Sturminster Newton)
Cambridgeshire - LYON SIMPSON WINTER TABRAHAM HAWKES FYNCKELL
Norfolk - PRESS ROUSE STEWARD
Warwickshire - RUSSELL (Coventry)
Suffolk - PRESS WHYTE
Berkshire (Shrivenham) & Wiltshire - REEVES CARVEY MOXHAM TRINDER
Somerset (Porlock) HUISH

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 May 05 14:55 BST (UK) »
 ;D Think I have just found the death details, forgot all about freebmd site! and have a marriage with some grooms missing, so might try to get cert for that, just double checked it on ancestry.com and missing of that as well.
keren 8)
Callaghan (Ireland,liverpool and st Helens 1840 to 1881.)  Scotland (liverpool pre 1860) Kiernan, Ritchie (Ireland, salford), Clarke ,Barton (salford greengates and Harpurhey/blackley up to 1930) griffiths, Robson, (Barton on Irwell, Irlam and West Midlands)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 May 05 16:14 BST (UK) »
I've heard that Ancestry just use the FreeBMD database so there won't be any additional info on their site.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Keren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 May 05 14:06 BST (UK) »
 ??? so does the 1837 site have different info?? I have spent a fortune on there and found out nothing, just had to wade thro pages of info I didnt want. :-[

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 May 05 15:23 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD and any other similar sites buy copies of the indexes as they can afford them and volunteers transcribe and upload them to the site.  Until they can purchase every index of every quarter of every year and the volunteers finish the transcriptions unfortunately there will be gaps.

The 1837 site has the FULL indexes for all births, marriages and deaths.  It is exactly the same as those held in Record Offices etc.  Apart from them being complete the other advantage is that you get to decide for yourself what the handwriting says, instead of relying on somebody else's interpretation.  Having said that, their interpretation is usually excellent as they also have a checker to minimise errors.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)