Author Topic: Jonathan Jagger born about 1770 Kirkburton Completed with thanks  (Read 15627 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Jonathan Jagger born about 1770 Kirkburton
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 August 11 02:11 BST (UK) »
 SpSt/199/13

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=199-spst_2&cid=1-4-348#1-4-348

Part 2

Reciting.
(1) the will of John Clarkson, 24 Aug 1753, and his death, 7 Apr 1758.
(2) death of daughter Mary Radcliffe, 5 Mar 1765.
(3) deed of 3 Oct 1766 by which Clarkson's lands were sold, and realised £4,621 2/78.
(4) death of Hannah, wife of Jonathan West, 7 Mar 1667.
(5) Lease and release of 28 and 29 Sep 1770, by which in return for £850 paid to William and Everilda Stainforth, James and Sarah Hamer and Betty Wordsworth by Sarah Clarkson and George Purslove, out of the residuum of John Clarkson's estates, the following lands were conveyed: a messuage in Thurgoland, called lopster; closes belonging called Long Field, the Ing, the Far Brow, the Near Brow, the House Field, the Well Field, the Little Field, containing 14 acres 1 rood 3 poles: messuage in Langset called Swinden or Swinden Walls, and closes belonging, called the Piece, the Middle Croft, the Whiteley Field, the Upper Croft, the Little Croft, the Rabbit Croft, the Green, the Nether Croft, the Shilling Intack, containing together, 32 acres 3 poles; messuage in Langset, called Brookhouse, and closes belonging, called the Long Hagg, the Pingle, the Crow Holme, the Whiteley Field, the Calf Croft, the Hadley Field, the High Field, the Kitchen Field, the Little Hagg, the Yew Croft, the Park, the Tam Croft, the Dry Slack, the Wet Slack, the Brookhouse Field, the Bank, the River, the New Piece, the Brookhouse Field Lane, the Lane going into the bank off the Common, the Wood, in Langset and Midhop, 66 acres 1 rood 28 poles: closes in Holmfirth, par Kirkburton, called Savile.
Field, Caul Croft, Kiln Croft; freehold parts of 3 closes called Hey Banks, containing together, 17 acres 22 poles, all parcel of Sandygate Farm: moity of Spring Wood called Newland Wood, in Nether Thong, par Almondbury, 2 acres 16 poles; annuity of 45/- payable out of lands in Nether Thong. Lands were to be to the use of the 5 daughters of John Clarkson.
(6) Lease and release of 3 and 4 Jan 1774, by which, for £720 paid to John Balguy by Sarah Clarkson and George Purslove, out of the residuum of John Clarkson's personal estate, the following lands were conveyed:- messuage in Hoylandswain and closes of land belonging, namely the two Heaths als the Farr Heath and the Narr Heath als the Great Heath and the Little Heath, 2 acres 3 roods 39 poles; the Wheat Croft, 1 acre 3 roods 9 poles, Little Ing, 1 acre 16 poles; Lower Ing als Low Ing als Great Ing, 2 acres 36 poles; the Croft on the Backside of the Smithy als the Smithy Croft als the Crab Hill, 1 acre 27 poles; one other messuage in Hoylandswain, together with the following closes:- Little Heath, 1 acre 20 poles; Great Heath als Narr Heath, 3 acres 1 rood 3 poles, Tenter Croft als Laith Croft, 2 acres 8 poles, Ings als the Ing, 2 acres 3 roods 12 poles, two How Brooms als Great How Broom and Little How Broom, 3 acres 14 poles, Lip yard als Tip yard als Hip yard, 1 acre 23 poles.
(7) Lease and release of 29, 30 May 1776 by which in return for £1,067 paid by Sarah Clarkson and George Porslove, to William Walker, the following lands were conveyed:- 3 messuages at Hepshaw, in Hepworth; closes called the Coat als Goat Close, 4 acres 3 roods 32 poles, Intack, 9 acres 2 roods 8 poles, Lower Intack, 4 acres 7 poles, New Close, 1 acre 1 rood 8 poles, Rough Intack, 6 acres 2 roods 29 poles, Well Ing, 2 acres 1 rood 27 poles, Ing, 4 acres 1 rood 15 poles, Lane Head, 3 acres 3 roods 39 poles, Croft, 1 acre 27 poles, Kiln Hill, 2 acres 20 poles, Lower Brow, 2 acres 2 roods 38 poles, Lower Field, 3 acres 1 rood 20 poles, Upper Field, 3 acres 1 rood 25 poles, Upper Brow, 3 acres 2 roods 16 poles, Moor House als Burrs Ing, 4 acres 2 roods 25 poles, Rough Butt, 1 acre 3 roods 9 poles, Hob Acre, 1 acre 3 roods 4 poles, Great Ing, 6 acres 3 roods 14 poles, the Leys, 3 acres 3 roods 39 poles, the Croft, 1 acre 16 poles.
(8 ) That Jane Sutcliffe, Elizabeth Bingley and Sarah Clarkson have recently died.
(9) That Luck Anningson and Sarah his wife, are now seized of 1/5 part of the above recited lands.
(10) That Thomas Sutcliffe and Thomas Watson, and Ann his wife are seized of the 1/5 part of the above lands.
(11) That William Green, together with Luck Anningson and Sarah his wife, are also entitled to 1/5 share of the above.
The parties now agree to suffer a common recovery in all the above premises, to Joseph Allen, to be to the use of Joseph Allen, and thereafter, to specified uses.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 August 11 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not sure if this is coincidence or not

you have

quote you;

He was the illegitimate son of Ellen (or Ellin) Hirst and Jonathan Jagger of Hepshaw was the reputed father. - unquote

Ingbirchworth is just above Thurlstone and 2 miles from Hepshaw

100 years or later but 1910 could be archive ref date and deeds earlier

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=199-em1&cid=1-7-10-11&kw=john%20jagger#1-7-10-11

Sheffield Archives

Printed sale catalogue of property at Ingbirchworth, late property of John Jagger, deceased  EM/662  1910

Elmhirst Family  [no ref. or date]

Deeds  [no ref. or date]

Settlements and Wills  [no ref. or date]

Personal  [no ref. or date]

Deeds  [no ref. or date]

Settlements and Wills  [no ref. or date]

Public Local Records  [no ref. or date]

Estate and Personal Records  [no ref. or date]

Rentals  [no ref. or date]

Maps, Plans and Surveys  [no ref. or date]

Miscellaneous Estate Papers  [no ref. or date]

Farming Records  [no ref. or date]

Papers regarding Enclosures  [no ref. or date]

Papers regarding Tithes  [no ref. or date]

Papers regarding Canals  [no ref. or date]

Papers regarding Coalmines  [no ref. or date]

Papers regarding Railways  [no ref. or date]

Sale Catalogues  [no ref. or date]

Particulars and conditions of sale of a capital messuage and land at Ouslethwaite  EM/653  1768

Miscellaneous papers relating to the sale of estates in Lincolnshire and Yorkshire of Robert Elmhirst  EM/654  1812-28

Particulars and conditions of sale of estates for sale in Hatfield, Wroot, Thorne, Fishlake and Sykehouse  EM/1079  1822

Draft particulars of sale of property at Hatfield, Thorne Fishlake and Sykehouse  EM/674  1822

Printed particulars of sale with plans of estates at Aukley, Blaxton, Ackholm and Wroot (co. York, Lincoln, Nottingham)  EM/1100  1823

Printed auctioneer's sale catalogue  EM/786  1838

[no title]  EM/1101  1843-1845

Particulars of sale of an allotment of 1,000 acres of Thorne Moor  EM/1080  1862

Copy of a sale account of the furniture and effects of Rev. William Elmhirst sold at Round Green  EM/661  3 Aug 1871

Printed particulars of sale and plan of a farm at Gate in the chapelry of Bradfield  EM/1211  1872

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 August 11 03:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'd be very grateful for any help locating the following:

My ggg grandfather, John Hirst, was baptised on 30/Oct 1796 at Kirkburton.  He was the illegitimate son of Ellen (or Ellin) Hirst and Jonathan Jagger of Hepshaw was the reputed father.

I have located Ellin's baptism, but despite great efforts, I cannot find anything further about Jonathan. (The parish register records on Ancestry are pretty awful, with faded/illegible parts and some years are missing big chunks.)  I think that Jonathan also had a brother Matthew bap abt 1773 Kirkburton, but I cannot find this baptism either. I would also love to know what happened to Ellin. Did she ever marry?

Please, is there anyone who could shed some light on this?  I'd be so pleased and so grateful to hear from you,

Thanks,

Chris

???

It says JOHN HIGGINS was the father or Mistranscribed for Jagger  :-\

From the Kirkburton Church register (from HFS copy disc of Baptisms of Kirkburton)

John Hirst 8 weeks old bapt 30 th October 1796 Father (John Higgins) mother  Ellen Hirst single woman of Hepshaw

Ellen Hirst Birth year unknown Bapt 24th Nov 1787 father Anthony of Hepshaw Hepworth

also

Ellen Hirst bapt 20 th Jan 1771 father Arron -abode Ellen tree head, Wooldale, Holmfirth

There is this Hirst/Higgins tree website that has Hurst of Hepshaw and ellen bapt but No John? Higgins or John Hirst 1796  ???

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/h/i/g/Malcolm-Higgins/index.html

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/h/i/g/Malcolm-Higgins/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0526.html

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 August 11 19:48 BST (UK) »
There are 3 coal mines

Barnside Colliery, Hepshaw Pit & Farm and Oxlee Colliery off All Bedding Beddingedge Road near the Victoria Inn on the A 616 Huddersfield to Sheffield main trunk road
on Nab hill Thurlstone and Hepworth moor all mines within 1/4 mile of each other

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cmhrc/list80.htm

27 Oxlee, Hepworth, Huddersfield, Hirst and Cartwright

Huddersfield and District FHS (CD)

Kirkburton Baptisms 1711-1837

Entries

Entry Hannah Hirst bapt 28 th Oct 1792                  father (Joshua Sallow) Mother Ellen single woman -abode Hepshaw nab

Entry John   Hirst bapt 30 Th Oct  1796 (8 weeks old)        father (John Higgins)  Mother Ellen single woman -Abode Hepshaw
..........................................................................................................................
These  entries Possible same John and Ellen by Dates and location and no other baptism for the couple ?

Entry Sarah  Hirst born 29 th April 1799 bapt 12 th May 1799 Father (John)          Mother Ellen             abode Barnside Hepworth

Entry Mary   Hirst born 9 th May 1800 Bapt 29th June 1800    father (John)          Mother Ellen   abode Oxlee Hepworth

There is No marriage of a John And Ellen ( maiden name unknown) Hirst before 1804 in Kirkburton or near Parish's

Use 'old map' website to locate abodes

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 September 11 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

Sorry it's taken so long to reply. Apologies! Thankyou very much for the info re Jonas Jagger, but I'm not totally convinced that he is my Jonathan Jagger. I'm still delving through the PRs and have come across the surname Gagger; I wonder if I ought to be looking for Jonathan Gagger!

Thanks again, you have been brilliant,

Chris

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 September 11 12:49 BST (UK) »
If there as a bastardy order on the illegitimate father? There are documents at Lancashire archives Preston , Borthwick York, YAS Claremont house Leeds and Nottingham also Lichfield have - Almondbury, Kirkheaton and Kirkburton documents in their archives also Hepshaw is just into Barnsley border then Barnsley  Sheffield and Rotherham archives may have a Bastardy order! it could take years to find ! if there was one?

Could be Hagger as well as Gagger

With these villages of Daisylee-Oxlee-Barnside and Hepshaw coal mine heads and smallholding farmers wives and husbands as the miners come farmers on these very remote moorland villages on the peak over looking Stocksbridge, Holmfirth and Penistone! also Aaron Hirst and John Jagger both born in Daisylee Aaron Hirst 1741 and John Jagger 1749 its fair to say they could have been friends and though 20 years older John could have had it off with Aaron Hirst's daughter Ellen b 1771 age about 24 in 1795 one cold afternoon on the the moors by the warm fire.

To me! strong very medicine!  ::)

DNA may help of this Jagger descendants of this John Jagger b 1749 Jagger line descendants  from Daisylee Hepworth if you could find one but may have to pay for their DNA test as well as your own?

:)

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 September 11 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Dobfarm and all the other Rootschatters who have so kindly posted replies/advice etc.

First of all I would like to apologise for not thanking you sooner - I have been very busy recently, so managed to thank Jill, as I knew it would be relatvely brief, but I am still reading over the huge amount of information which I have received.  I should have posted a quick explanation - so I'm very sorry for that.

Dobfarm, I am truly amazed by what you have done for me! I don't know what has amazed me more, your incredible kindness and generosity, your wealth of information and expertise or your Sherlock Holmeslike sleuthing!

I am humbled by  and grateful for all your efforts; I hope to look at the info in more depth in the next few days and will probably be in touch again.

Thanking you once more,

Kindest regards,

Chris

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Dobfarm,

I have managed to spend a little more time looking over all that you have sent/done for me; I'm even more amazed now than previously! It is simply gobsmacking! As explained in my pm to you, the last few years for me  have been quite dreadful; your kindness has been truly remarkable and your interpretation of who John Hirst's father could be, made me laugh, so well done!

I was surprised to hear that Ellen's family were fairly well off -  not what I expected.

Also,  thanks to California Dreaming; you came up with some excellent ideas, things that I would never have thought of.

When I have the time, I intend to look to see if I can find Ellin's  and (hopefully) Jonathan Jagger/ Gagger's burials, as this may shed some light on matters. If I do find anything, I will let you know.

Thanks again, you have been totally brilliant and I could not be more grateful,

Chris