Author Topic: Ann Peters, Dorking, c1750 COMPLETED  (Read 6555 times)

Offline Beetle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Peters, Dorking, c1750 COMPLETED
« on: Monday 15 August 11 22:44 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone help with identifying the Ann Peters who married John Tilt of Newdigate at Dorking on 3rd February 1766?  I don't know exactly when she was born, but it would have been in the late 1740's I should think.  She already had an illegitimate child called Peter Peters (I can't find his baptism either).

I should be grateful for any assistance,

Beetle. 
Tilts in Surrey and Sussex
Smiths in Bilston, Staffs
Naylors in Sedgley, Staffs

Offline jacques

• I have opted not to receive notification of any new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Peters, Dorking, c1750
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 August 11 23:10 BST (UK) »
Expect you have lookedon IGI site
there is this Baptism for a Ann Peters ( a bit earlier than you thought) 27th June 1732 West St Independent Dorking Surrey... Parents Thomas and Mary Peters.

Saw her Marriage in 1766.

Also this Baptism for a Peter Peters 29th May 1761 in Dorking but parents are Richard and Mary Peters... so wrong

Not much help I know.
Good luck
Wragg Sheffield/Rotherham
Noble  Sheffield/Derby
Kirk     Sheffield/Northumberland
Lenton Sheffield
Ward  Deryshire
Twigg Derbyshire

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright(see www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline jacques

• I have opted not to receive notification of any new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 August 11 23:16 BST (UK) »
Me again

On GenesReunited there are three people with an interest in Ann Peters

namely
Stephen....... Ann b 1750 Dorking
Stuart...........   "       "         "
Jacqueline....   "       1745   "

Maybe worth a try contacting them.   
Wragg Sheffield/Rotherham
Noble  Sheffield/Derby
Kirk     Sheffield/Northumberland
Lenton Sheffield
Ward  Deryshire
Twigg Derbyshire

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright(see www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Beetle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 14:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for these leads, Jacques.  I think the Ann Peters baptized 1732 is a bit too early for my Ann, as her last child was born in 1785, when this Ann would have been 53.  Not impossible, I know, but Ann's 10 children with John Tilt appeared on average at 2 yearly intervals, and the 1785 birth is not an outlier but merely the last of the long line. 

The mentions on GenesReunited have greater possibilities,  and I will certainly follow them up. 

As far as Peter Peters goes, I know that he had a holding of 18½ acres that had been legitimately enclosed from the Holmwood, and that he died in 1813.  His son William Peters inherited the land. 

Unfortunately Peters seems to have been a very common surname in the area at the time!

I'm grateful for your interest.

Beetle.

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 August 11 15:05 BST (UK) »
I currently have the Peter Peters who was buried in Dorking in 1812 aged 48 as the Peter of the 1761 baptism, i.e. son of Richard and Mary (but I could be wrong). The 1812 Peter left a PCC will dated 1812 in which he mentions his wife Dinah and son William, which seems to fit what you have.

There is a baptism in Charlwood on 17 May 1763 of Peter MILLS the bastard son of (blank) MILLS and Anne PETERS and this could also be the Peter who died in 1812.

Brian

Offline Beetle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 11:48 BST (UK) »
I think there is a good chance that you have found the right Ann Peters, Brian!  I haven't seen Peter Peters's will, but will chase it up at Woking. 

On the marriage certificate of John Tilt and Ann Peters, the curate does not assign a condition to either of them.  John is just "of Newdigate", and Ann, of Dorking, is neither a widow nor a spinster.  Probably he was being tactful.  In
John Tilt's will,  held in The National Archive, he leaves "three hundred pounds of lawful British money" to Peter Peters, "the son of my late wife".  This will was drawn up on 1st October 1802 and proved on 22nd February 1811, so the dates fit. 

My further information about Peter Peters came from the court rolls of the Manor of Dorking, in which the Tilts figure quite frequently as they were based on the Holmwood. 

Charlwood is certainly close enough to Newdigate to make a meeting between Ann and John possible.  The only problem is to account for how Peter Mills became Peter Peters.  Perhaps after Ann married John, who may have raised Peter in his household, she did not wish for a reminder of the name of the man with whom she had had a previous relationship, and simply changed it to her own maiden name.

Beetle.   

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 12:30 BST (UK) »
The Charlwood baptism I have for Peter is a transcription and it is probable that the transcriber added the surname Mills for indexing purposes. My guess is that the original entry reads "Peter the bastard son of .....Mills and Ann Peters" and that Peter was never known as Mills.

The will was proved in PCC and will therefore not be at Woking.  If you PM me your email address I will send you a copy.

Brian