Author Topic: 1901 look up please  (Read 2817 times)

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1901 look up please
« on: Tuesday 16 August 11 04:32 BST (UK) »
hello, i am trying to locate an anabella laurison, she married samuel lawson on the 16 april 1901 in sterling. on her marriage info her name was annie bell laurison.......anabella or annie bell was born in ireland 1877, so she would be about 24 yrs old in 1901.  she was not living with her parents or siblings in 1901 as i have established that they were still living in ireland. there could possibly be a daughter living with her by the name of sarah jane age about 3, but this child could have the last name of clarkson,  as i think anabella was married once before to a samuel clarkson........... anabella went to canada in 1905, following her husband who went in 1904.........the information i need is before she went to canada, so if anyone out there can help, information will be most gratefully received........kind reguards frm heather

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 look up please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 04:53 BST (UK) »
reguarding my first post.....the child sarah jane age 3, her last name will not be clarkson as i have just realised that samuel clarkson was anabella's 2nd husband in canada, sorry for the mistake !! frm heather

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 06:35 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Heather.

I believe I have found Samuel Lawson on the 1901 census but haven't been able to find Anabella yet. She should be in Scotland I would think as their marriage date in Stirling was 16 Apr 1901 which is only a couple of weeks after the census was taken although I suppose it's possible she could have been en route. Samuel was living with his mother at Milton, St Ninians, Stirlingshire as follows:

Margaret L Lawson, 68, head, born Glasgow
Samuel Lawson, 28, son, born St Ninians, Stirling, coal miner
James McNeil, 16, grandson, born St Ninians, Stirling, coal miner
Agnes Lawson, 22, granddaughter, born St Ninians, Stirling
Minnie Lawson, 23, visitor, born Ireland, linen winder

I also believe I have found Sarah Jane Laurison but she was in Ireland and I'm not sure whether she was the daughter of Anabella. The National Archives of Ireland has a searchable database for the 1901 and 1911 census. Sarah Jane is listed with John and Sarah Jane Laurison in Laurelvale, Mullahead, County Armagh but as their neice, not granddaughter. Here's a link to the census image:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000392131/

It looks like she was still in Mullahead, County Armagh for the 1911 Ireland census as well in the household of Sarah Jane Laurison. She is listed as "daughter" on that one but there is another daughter listed named Sarah Emily so something doesn't quite add up there. Here's the image for that census:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001643772/

If you have any other ancestors in Ireland at that time, here's a link to the site:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

I'll keep looking for Anabella.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 07:25 BST (UK) »
After checking a couple of things out I'm wondering whether Minnie Lawson might be Anabella even though I've never heard or seen Minnie used as a nickname for Anabella. Her age and birth place match and her occupation fits with what Anabella listed on her marriage registration (millworker). Also on the marriage registration both Samuel and Anabella list their addresses as Milton. It also indicated that Samuel and Anabella were "cousins-german" which I've just found out means they were first cousins (never heard that term before so I've learned something new). The 1891 census indicates Samuel's father was born in Ireland so perhaps William Laurison of Ireland became William Lawson in Scotland.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 07:46 BST (UK) »
oh my gosh, the plot thickens, i was also wondering about the sarah listed as a neice, and then as daughter.....hmmmmmmm and cousins, hopefully this will help lead me somewhwere..........thank you again, frm heather..

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 07:57 BST (UK) »
sorry another question, ist cousins ???? are they the same as cousins ??? can someone explain that to me please,   my thoughts are brothers and sisters children are cousins, but i'm not sure what first cousins are........i hope this doesn't sound like too much of a silly question !!! frm heather

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 20:58 BST (UK) »
Yes the children of brothers and sisters are first cousins. And when those children get older and have their own children, those children will be second cousins to each other. And it goes on with each generation. If you are confused on family relationship (and they can get pretty confusing at times), if you have a genealogy program on your computer one of its features should be a relationship calculator.

Jacquie