Author Topic: James McKeown who emigrated to Australia about 1864  (Read 3315 times)

Offline badjarning

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James McKeown who emigrated to Australia about 1864
« on: Tuesday 16 August 11 13:34 BST (UK) »
My wife's 5 times great grandfather is James McKeown who is believed to be born County Antrim, Ireland about 1808.  In about 1835 James married Henrietta Murray also of County Antrim.  Their eldest daughters Mary and Margaret emigrated to Western Australia aboard the "Hamilla Mitchell" from London.  They married and established themselves in the Colony.  Henrietta and the rest of the children including James Jnr. joined Mary and Margaret by emigrating aboard the "Hastings" which departed London 17/12/1864.  However, James Snr. is not listed on the "Hastings" passenger list and I can not find any record of how or when he came to Western Australia.  Is any good person out there in research land able to shed any light?

PS:  I have reasonable material on the McKeowns once they arrived in Western Australia which I can make available to anybody who desires same.

Thanks

Badjarning - Western Australia 

Offline Jennifer Jane

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: James McKeown who emigrated to Australia about 1864
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 December 14 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My name is Jasmine and I am interested in Margaret McKeown, and James McKeown.  My mother and I have just started researching Mary Quinlan, who is Margaret McKeown's daughter (named for her sister).  We are descendants of Margaret McKeown (and therefore James).  We would be interested in anything you could tell us.  We have not got much information, but of course will share with you what we can.  Looking at your post, I think you know much more than we do.  Are you in WA?  We think the sisters Margaret and Mary came out to WA as serving girls (designed to marry convicts and therefore keep them in check because the population in WA was so male oriented).  Mary McKeown married Richard Drake, and Margaret McKeown (we have the name as McKeonne) married William Quinlan who was convicted of sheep rustling, and sent to WA for 7 years. The girls were probably sent to WA, due to deaths and food shortage from the potato famine.  I assume you know all this, so I'll stop now, in case I am telling you what you already know.  I would love to hear from you.

Offline kat51Aust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 06:27 BST (UK) »
Hi - my Great Great Grandmother was Margaret Quinlan (nee McKeown). Her son, James Matthew (aka James Edward) was the father of my Grandmother, Violet Mary Quinlan. Are you still interested in information about this family?

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hello kat51Aust and welcome to RootsChat.

Jennifer Jane hasn't been on here since making her original post in 2014, and badjarning hasn't been active since 2013. Hopefully they still have the same email addresses and  will receive notification of your post. I'm sure they would be happy to hear from you.

Offline kat51Aust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 March 22 10:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks ... definitely new to this site, but will work on it.