Author Topic: Help needed: Ampthill baptisms stanford  (Read 991 times)

Offline cal1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed: Ampthill baptisms stanford
« on: Tuesday 16 August 11 21:59 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the children of Alfred and [Frances] Ellen Stanford. They had 8 children, 3 of whom were surviving in 1911. I know of only one, my grandfather Jack. They were married in Ampthill in 1880, and Jack was born in Hitchin in 1894. I have two possible names from the births register, Ellen 1882, and Alfred John,1884. Could anyone out there help by looking up the names in the Ampthill parish records to see if these are two of the children. I picked these from the births records for  the Ampthill area because of the link to family names.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed: Ampthill baptisms stanford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 06:17 BST (UK) »
Note the marriage on both FreeBMD & the IGI is in name of STAMFORD

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline cal1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed: Ampthill baptisms stanford
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 09:05 BST (UK) »
Yes, the marriage cert is for Stamford, but census returns for the family prior to his marriage in 1871 are in the name Stanford. Seems to be very much interchangeable, depending on who did the writing, which doesn't help when I already have so very little to go on. Both parents seem to have been illiterate. Even the death certs for the parents are different. Alfred was Stamford and Ellen was Stanford. Thought I would start with Stanford's as that was my grandfathers registered name. Also thought they might have stayed around Ampthill for a time after the wedding, before moving to Hitchin. Those two names jumped out at me from the list of births, Ellen for obvious reasons, and Alfred John as Ellen's father was John, and it seemed a good place to start.

Another piece of information is that Ellen's full birth name seems to have been Frances Ellen Mary Ann Fleming/s, of Headington Oxford, and according to census returns in 1861 she was Ellen, in 1871 was Frances. Was Frances Ellen on her marriage cert and Ellen on my grandfathers birth cert.

Alfred died in 1907, and Jack was the only child living with Ellen in 1911, so my feeling is that he was the youngest, as she would have been around 40 when he was born. That at least gives a time span to work from.

This side of the family has been a complete nightmare, as I had no idea even who my gt grandparents names were till very recently, or where they came from, and they managed to skip under the census officials noses every time!  Have a good link back through the Maulden line to 1735 now and think I am on the right track at last. would be good to get this last piece of info sorted.

Very many thanks for taking an interest in this.