Author Topic: Henstridge to Baltonsburgh c1780  (Read 3265 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Henstridge to Baltonsburgh c1780
« on: Wednesday 17 August 11 13:31 BST (UK) »
Was there an easy road connection between Henstridge and Baltonsborough in 1780? I ask because Betty Meatyard who may have been my 3XGGM had an illegitimate son (Robert)  baptised in Henstridge in February 1780. In May 1780 a Robert Luffman illegitimate son of Betty Luffman was baptised in Baltonsborough. I have so far been quite unable to find any other trace of either mother or son anywhere other than this baptism. 2 years later both Betty and Robert were back in Henstridge, he was later apprenticed by the parish. As she had a formidable reputation in Henstridge at that time I wonder whether she had been " run out of town"? If so, would there be any record of this?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: Henstridge to Boltonsburgh c1780
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Just wondered if you knew which month Elizabeth Luffmans child was christened.  I say this as I found a Elizabeth Luffman getting married
1780 but on the 15th May at Henstridge to a Thomas Jeans. Just wondered
if she had the child then this man might have married her??
Looking for Betty I did find another Thomas Jeans marrying in 1770
in Henstridge so it would seem the Jeans were well known in that village.
Probably Betty was his second wife?
Dont know though if this is two Bettys or not??

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henstridge to Boltonsburgh c1780
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 14:35 BST (UK) »
Robert, son of Betty was baptised at Baltonsborough  on 21 May 1780, some 6 days after Elizabeth's marriage at Henstridge, so I think my (very thin) theory is still just about alive, thanks for your interest.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henstridge to Baltonsburgh c1780
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 13:56 BST (UK) »
Yesterday I visited the Somerset Heritage Centre, and was very impressed by what is available to researchers. Regarding Robert and Betty, I did a careful check of the Parish registers for Baltonsorough and found that there are no other Luffman entries in that parish whatsoever between 1757 and 1800. So a strange lone record which does not do my theory any harm! The parish registers for Baltonsborough are so clearly written during the period 1757-1800 that my first impression was they were an old transcription, yet a close look over the 43 years showed at least 4 different writers so I think they were fortunate in having a succession of clear and tidy vicars and churchwardens at this time.