Author Topic: Hannah Welsh  (Read 2565 times)

Offline meadowmaid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah Welsh
« on: Wednesday 17 August 11 16:53 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for a birth record for Hannah Welsh who was born around 1851 in Douglas, IOM. It's possible that Hannah was baptised on 5th June 1851.  Her mother was called Jane Hay Wells and she married Edward Byrn Welsh in 1849.  Jane had previously married to Robert Kneale in 1842.  Oddly enough, the 1851 census gives Hannah's name as Hannah Kneale (2 months old).  Another oddity is that when Hannah married John Foster Kennedy in 1873, the marriage certificate calls her Annie.  Any help would be so useful to me.  Thank you. Meadowmaid.

Offline moya72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Welsh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 October 11 06:05 BST (UK) »
Ann Welsh christened 5 June 1851  St Barnabas, Douglas.  Jane Haye Kneale married Ed. Byon Welsh, (incorrect transcription ? ) 2 Dec 1849.  Previous married Robert Kneale 31 Dec 1842.  There is a record of the burial of Robert Kneale in 1847, age 23.  If this is the same man he would have been age 18 at time of marriage to Jane. The three older children on the 1851 census are Jane's children to Robert Kneale  (ages are incorrect  Elizabeth born 1843,  Robert  1848  and William  1846 ).  Enumerator has assumed that Hannah was also a Kneale.  Not sure how you can get birth record as civil registration for births didn't start until 1878.  Regards  moya

Offline meadowmaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 October 11 11:15 BST (UK) »
Dear Moya

Thanks for that helpful information. I hadn't realised that Robert Kneale was so young when he married.  In fact it's a bit of a mystery how Jane Hay Wells came to be on the Isle of Man as she was born in London.  I did not know that civil registration for births did not begin until 1878 as I had assumed it was a similar time to England's.  That would explain why I cannot find a record of Hannah/Ann's birth. Could you let me know where you found the information please so that I can add this to my database?
Many thanks
Joan (Meadowmaid)

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 October 11 21:57 BST (UK) »
if robert was 18 at marriage then parish reg should have noted he was a minor - borrow the film of the official copy from your local Mormon family history centre (some guidance on www.manxnotebook.com re film numbers)

there were some 4 'Wells' marriages in Braddan (includes Douglas) in 1840's - in 1837 directory a Benjamin Wells is noted as keeping the Steam Mill Pub in Church Street and also as a teacher of dancing - can't find him in 1841 but a Mary wells (an unusual name for the Island) marries a Phil Quayle in 1842 and he is found associated with inn in Gt Nelson st (just around corner from Church st) in 1841 - are these all related
getting the marriage reg should also confirm Jan'es father as by 1849 marriage act this was now required
any thing with a Manx Connection