Author Topic: Vessels, Royal Navy in 1861 census  (Read 4716 times)

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Vessels, Royal Navy in 1861 census
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 August 11 19:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for your assistance. I'm one step closer to satisfying my curiousity about William's life. One further question. How long did a man have to serve in the navy in order to be entitled to a pension?
Regards, Nan
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull
Ayrshire, Scotland: Currie,  Gebbie
Argyllshire, Scotland: Clark, McDonald, McCorquodale,
Lanarkshire, Scotland: Allan, Smellie
Renfrewshire, Scotland: Lang, Jack

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 14:59 BST (UK) »
Of course his Naval record will not mention his parents.  If you are really interested in how long and on which vessels he served then spend £3.50 to find out. All these snippets help to build a bigger picture. As ever. Your call.
Hello seaweed,
I took your advice and ordered the naval record for William Loft. There are several things which I do not understand on the record and hope you or another rootschatter can help. It looks like "Good" is before the name of his first ship, the Royal William. Later it looks like "bGood" before the ship called the Fisgard. To what do these terms refer? William joined the navy at age 14 and then volunteered for another 10 years at age 18. What does "Vol.le.8. mean? I think it refers to the end of his time as a "boy". The date fits. And finally what does A.B. stand for in the rating column?

I cannot read the name of the last ship. Would the N.A. do anything about that? And lastly at the bottom of the badge column it looks like 67/4G1. Any ideas to what this might refer?

Sorry that I have posted so many questions.

Kind regards, Nan
London and Middlesex, England: Loft, Hughes, Walker, Eades, Phair, Hubbard, Bull

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 17:52 BST (UK) »
if you could post, as an attachment, the relevent wording you are not sure about then I am sure someone will interpret.
Good was a reference to his conduct. B Good I suggest should read V Good (very good)
AB = Able Seaman
HMS FISGARD was could be one of two shore establishments. Could you give the dates he served there.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 October 11 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Crimea1854 has answered many of my questions and I thank him for that. William served on the Fisgard from 18 Nov 1858 until 13 Jan 1859.... only 2 short months. He also served on the Royal William, the Centaur, the Victory, the Centurion, the Trafalgar and one other vessel. The name of the last vessel is completely illegible. I wonder if someone at the NA could make out the name of the ship from the original. He was discharged from this ship 9 Nov 1863. Even though he did not serve 10 years after he turned 18 he was eligible for  a pension. I wonder if he was injured on this ship? If there would be any record of why he was discharged? I guess finding out the name of the ship is crucial.
Nan

Offline nkbauer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 07 October 11 00:06 BST (UK) »
Perhaps someone else can decipher the name of William Loft's last ship so I'll try to add an attachment with that part of his service record.
Regards, Nan