Author Topic: Breconshire Record Office Lookup OFFER  (Read 12454 times)

Offline PaulC120

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Breconshire Record Office Lookup OFFER
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 September 11 11:32 BST (UK) »
hanes teulu

wondering if there may be a connection between your Thomas & Margaret Parry with  a family I'm trying to research for a friend

Thomas Parry born circa 1828 Abergavenny d.1901 Griffithstown
+ Margaret ???? [possibly Herbert] born circa .1840 Llangovan/Panteg

Known offspring
John Herbert Parry born circa 1870 Llanvihangel d.1944 Pontypool
William Parry born circa 1872 Abergavenny
Jane Parry born circa 1876 Abergavenny
+ Thomas Joseph Landers born circa1875 Pontypool
Carter - Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Leicester, Surrey
Povey - Berkshire, Sussex, Glamorgan, U.S.A.
Havell - Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Canada, Argentina
Hunt – Berkshire
Franklin – Berkshire
Mowlson – Berkshire
Chandler - Berkshire, Somerset
Wallin – Berkshire
Johnson – Berkshire
Druce - Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire
Gandy - Hampshire, Glamorgan
Phillips - Hampshire
Rowe - Buckinghamshire
Cook - Hampshire,
Cruse - Hampshire
Eyles - Hampshire
Leppard - Oxfordshire, Glamorgan

Offline GuybrushThreepwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Treetective,
What sort of records does the Brecon Record office have? I am trying to find out about the Farmer family living in Brecon from the 1780s to the 1870s and i think i need to look in either Apprentice records And/Or the Burgess rolls to help me. I live in Yorkshire and i had one trip to Aberystwyth last year and spent an afternoon searching Parish records to pretty much no avail.
I did manage to confirm that my 5x Great Grandfather Thomas Farmer, gunsmith (who we think was born in 1779 in Hereford) married an Anne Williams on 5th May 1804 at St. Mary's, Brecon and married his 2nd wife Ann Probert on the 30th December 1811 in Llanspyddid. What i haven't found is a baptism anywhere for his son Benjamin who was born around 1816, and lived most of his life after 1836 in Brecon - he died in 1897 and was a saddler, bailiff and also Town Crier of Brecon for 10 years (Under an archway on the High Street in Brecon there is a sign saying "Licens'd to Let, Post Horses" which must be where Benjamin's saddler's shop was as in 1859 directory for Brecon Benjamin is listed on the high street under the same heading!).
Thomas died sometime in 1824 in Brecon (I have his will), but i don't have a burial record for him. Benjamin married in Bristol in 1836 for some reason so i don't know if he left brecon after his father died for a bit.
It would appear that Thomas' father was also a Benjamin Farmer, also a gunsmith, who was a freeman of Hereford and who died there in 1821 - i also have his will in which he leaves property to Benjamin Farmer, son of his son Thomas and Thomas's 2nd wife Ann which fits. We think he was born in Ludlow in shropshire in 1748.
The reason i think i need to look at Apprentice records and Burgess rolls is that all of Benjamin's sons were Saddlers and Benjamin was a Master Saddler - i belive there would be vital clues in them - on top of this Thomas was a Master Gunsmith and i would like to find out the link between him and a Jeremiah Farmer, also a master gunsmith of Brecon, who we originally thought was Thomas's father.  This Jeremiah is named in a Bastardy bond as guarantor for Theophilus Jones (famous Brecon historian) and married a Sarah Cooper on 2nd January 1781 in St. Mary's Brecon (though i have yet to see the record itself) - we think he died in Merthyr Tydfil in 1826 but that is a theory. Coincidentally there is a Jeremiah Farmer born in Ludlow, Shropshire in 1753 so i am thinking that Jeremiah is Thomas's uncle and perhaps Thomas was apprenticed to him. Any help or clues on any Farmers in Brecon you could find would be appreciated.
Best Wishes
Wayne Farmer

Offline lazydaisy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 01:40 GMT (UK) »

we were chatting last night with regard to the Bevan family who lived in Graig Rd Ynyshir from 1890 until the trail runs cold in the early 1930's. To recap:
Wiiliam Bevan (b 1861 Trefecca) married Martha Ann Herbert (b Pontlottyn 1865) in 1877 in the Parish church Vaynor.
Their children were John b 1887
                               Sarah Ann b 1892 -1945 my grandmother
                               William b 1895
                               David   b  1897
                               Elizabeth b 1904 - 1969 married Wallace McIlroy in 1926
I am trying to find out more about the 3 boys. The info that I have is that one of them was married to a lady called Carrie. She had 2 sets of twins in just over a year & died shortly after the second set were born. No dates are know for the births or her death. no names are known for the babies. Which ever son this was then married a lady called Marie (pronounced marry). One of the 3 boys had a daughter called Patty who sustained injuries in a playground accident which left her wheelchair bound. Again no dates are known but could be in the range of 1912 to the mid 1930's
The only other definite information is that William Bevan senior died 9 July 1928 at 44 William Street Ynyshir.
Martha Ann Bevan died 1 May 1933 at 15 Whitting Street Ynyshir. It is thought these 2 addresses would be those of one of the sons ... but which ones?
So, I am trying to make some sense of this and find out who the boys married and what family they had.
I know that it is not a lot to go on. I would appreciate any info that you or anyone else may have that would shed some light on this.
I would also like to apologise in advance if I have used the wrong county message board. I am at learner at this.
Thanks for taking the time to read to read my query.
Diane
Bevan familyTalgarth Brecon
Bevan family  Porth Glamorgan
Williams family  Monmouth
Williams family  Brecon
Herbert & Jenkins family  Brecon and Glamorgan
Gronow St Davids Pembrokessire

Offline lazydaisy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 June 12 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hello

Please can one of the Mods move this post to the Glamorgan board. I will then add an update.

Thanks

Diane
Bevan familyTalgarth Brecon
Bevan family  Porth Glamorgan
Williams family  Monmouth
Williams family  Brecon
Herbert & Jenkins family  Brecon and Glamorgan
Gronow St Davids Pembrokessire

Offline llangatwg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 June 12 20:10 BST (UK) »
where is the breconshire record office please.  is it in brecon

Offline zx123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 July 12 22:10 BST (UK) »
The Breconshire record office is in Llandrindod Wells in Powys.
Medlicott, Bevan,(Monmouthshire,Wales)
Sweet(Somerset,England)
Donovan, Field(Cork, Ireland)