Author Topic: I Need your help please!!  (Read 1594 times)

Offline PamH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I Need your help please!!
« on: Tuesday 03 May 05 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have this info, of which I have been struggling with for 3 yrs now.   ??? ??? ???

Mary Ann Milito/Meletto/Maletto b. abt 1820, Ireland.

Married Richard Henneford/Hennefer/Hennifer/Henefer on 15 Mar 1840 at Ainsworth parish Church, Cockey Moor Bury, lancs, England.

Father's name, John Milito a Shoemaker.

No residence address was given for Mary Ann and a clerk at the registrars office said this was very unusual.

I found out from the 1851 census that she was born Ireland but, alas, no County name.

I know from her death cert, as her age was given as 31 yrs in 1851, that she would have been born abt. 1820.

The variants in her name have cropped up on different cert's. 

I just don't know how to find her in Ireland.  I have tried various search's through the links given on various postings on this board/boards but nothing.

If anyone comes across this name or has this name in their tree, will you please contact me.

Thanks for reading this post.   ;D

PamH.
Ainsworth, Meletto/Milito/Maletto-Bolton, <br />Blackmore- Widnes, Radcliffe, Devon.<br />Boyes- Devon, Kent.<br />Bradley- Windle, Sefton<br />Fisher- Blackburn, St Helens<br />Greenhalgh- Bury, Radcliffe, USA<br />Hennefer/Hennifer/Henefer/Henneford- Bolton, Derbyshire, Staffordshire, Worc, Warw,<br />Kenwright- Widnes, Runcorn<br />Knowles- Sefton, Formby<br />Sutton- Homer Green, Sefton, Lunt, St Helens, Formby<br />Thompson- St Helens<br />Thrush- St Helens, Yorks.<br />Ware-Devon, Surrey

Offline Lady Macbeth

• 1965-2013
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: I Need your help please!!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 May 05 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam, I also took 3 years of constant searching to find where in Ireland my lot were from.  They settled in Scotland and I established the parents stayed in Ireland.  I can only let you know how I finally discovered their place of birth if you want to try that.

Having the parents names of my gg grandfather, I searched male death certs and male and female marriage certs with the same surname in the area in which I knew he had lived to see if I could find any siblings.  You may have to try variations in the spelling of the surname if yours, like mine, didn't read and write and therefore the name was written as it sounded.

I then built up a picture of the brothers and sisters and where they were when and, in the case of the sisters, their married names.  I also looked at any children they had and where and when they had them.

You are right that the 1851 census should have county of birth, so, based on where these people were around 1851 (births deaths and marriage certs), I searched the 1851 census at those addresses for my surname, and the married surname of the sisters. 

I finally found one married sister with her husband, kids and three of her sisters.  It showed their place of birth as Kings Co, ie Offaly.  When I found this I caused quite a stir in the library by leaping about.  Hopefully you may find something by following this route.

Good luck
Lesley

Gegan, Geoghegan, Gagan, or any variation whatsoever in Ireland (particularly Co Offaly/Kings Co) and Scotland;
Symons and Symon in Angus, Perthshire and Aberdeenshire, Scotland;
McKenna in Ireland and Scotland;
Wilkie in Kincardine and Angus, Scotland

Offline PamH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 May 05 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley

Thanks for the advice.  When I have searched any of the Irish places, even doing a wild search nothing comes up!!  Mary was in England pre 1840, this being the date of her marriage.  When we first started looking for her, we thought she just maybe from the Romany people, this is still a possibility.  It was only when looking at the 1851 census for Lancashire that gave us her birth place, until then we had no idea at all.

I will keep trying various routes and placing messages on boards, this may prove fruitful or may not.  I looked all around the 1851 census but none by that name came close.  I would like to get hold of the 1841, that just may hold the key, that's if her father was over here with her!!!  I don't think I am that lucky.

Again thanks Lesley and I will try a similar route.

Regards

pamH

Ainsworth, Meletto/Milito/Maletto-Bolton, <br />Blackmore- Widnes, Radcliffe, Devon.<br />Boyes- Devon, Kent.<br />Bradley- Windle, Sefton<br />Fisher- Blackburn, St Helens<br />Greenhalgh- Bury, Radcliffe, USA<br />Hennefer/Hennifer/Henefer/Henneford- Bolton, Derbyshire, Staffordshire, Worc, Warw,<br />Kenwright- Widnes, Runcorn<br />Knowles- Sefton, Formby<br />Sutton- Homer Green, Sefton, Lunt, St Helens, Formby<br />Thompson- St Helens<br />Thrush- St Helens, Yorks.<br />Ware-Devon, Surrey

Offline Lady Macbeth

• 1965-2013
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 May 05 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam, its' so frustrating isn't it!  You'd think that having an unusual name to search would make it easier but, as I found out with my Gegans, spelling variations are a nightmare.  I think I have counted 9 so far and some have no resemblance to the original.  The original was Geoghegan so you see the problem.

Anyway, I have a horrible feeling that the 1841 census didn't have to include place of birth if outside the country, just Ireland, but that may just be Scotland.  I would try and have a search in the area where she married anyway, nothing to be lost.  You might find some brothers and sisters which you can then try and find in the 51 census. 

I have been repeating the name to see if it sounds like something more likely but I'm stumped.  The only ref to Milito I have seen is Italian!!!  The nearest I got on Griffiths was Militon.

Good luck Pam, don't give up
Lesley
Gegan, Geoghegan, Gagan, or any variation whatsoever in Ireland (particularly Co Offaly/Kings Co) and Scotland;
Symons and Symon in Angus, Perthshire and Aberdeenshire, Scotland;
McKenna in Ireland and Scotland;
Wilkie in Kincardine and Angus, Scotland

Offline PamH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 May 05 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley

Thanks for your reply.

I also keep saying the name and in various dielects (if that is poss!!)  I have even looked through all the Mallett/Millett names etc.

We actually went to all the Church Yards in the area, just to see if anything showed up there!!

One day there will be a breakthruogh.  Thanks for trying.

Regards

PamH

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 February 07 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello PamH,

I've just spotted your message. Looking at the two surnames I have the feeling they may have immigrated from either France, Germany or Italy. Richard's surname started me thinking along this line. It's Mary Ann in Ireland about whom you require the details. I doubt that her family lived in a rural area .. I may be totally wrong but I think it more than likely they lived in a city where the immigrants tended to settle as many were asked to come to Ireland to help with the start of new industries or help with the erection of buildings using materials which were not common in Ireland. Many Italians came to Ireland as they had experience working with marble.

Best Wishes,

Chris

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 February 07 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Dear Lady Macbeth,

I do not know if this is any relevant to your family--do check this link out:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,12940.from1172278993/topicseen.html#msg1126927

Hi PamH,

I do empathise with you and your desire to find your Mary Ann. It is difficult to find her without knowing which county or place in Ireland she came from.

Try to take another look at the census--to see if there are any Irish neighbours living nearby or relatives--perhaps you will be in the luck if one of them stated where they came from Ireland. Often Irish would settle down with their "people" from same area back home--it can be county or particular place.

I wish you every success and best of luck in find her!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 February 07 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Tees,

I guess now I'll have to look for Geoghegans in the directories prior to 1852 on my next visit to the Central Library in Belfast. Since Edward was an agent for the Bank of Ireland and Banks tended to move their staff around the country I wonder if there is a Bankers genealogy website. Banks probably have records of their employees which would show the branch where they first started and the brances to which they were transferred during their banking career. If there are such records I imagine the hundred year rule applies.

Chris.